Physical activity, mental and personal wellbeing, social isolation, and perceptions of academic attainment and employability in university students: Pooled analysis of the Scottish and British Active Students Surveys
Subject: SportRxiv|Sport and Exercise Studies | bepress|Life Sciences|Kinesiology|Psychology of Movement | SportRxiv|Sport and Exercise Science|Psychology of Sport and Exercise | bepress|Life Sciences|Kinesiology | SportRxiv|Sport and Exercise Science | SportRxiv|Sport and Exercise Science|Physical Activity | SportRxiv|Sport and Exercise Studies|Sport and Exercise Pedagogy | bepress|Social and Behavioral Sciences
Background: Achieving sufficient physical activity (PA) promotes health and wellbeing. For students, university represents a transitional period including increased independence over lifestyle behaviors, in addition to new stressors and barriers to engaging in PA. It is... View more
1. Booth FW, Chakravathy MV, Spangenburg EE. Exercise and gene expression: physiological regulartion of the human genome through physical activity. J Physiol 2002;543(Pt 2):399- 411
2. Pedersen BK, Saltin B. Exercise as medicine- evidence for prescribing exercise as therapy in 26 different chronic diseases. Scan J Med Sci Sports 2015;3(25):1-72.
3. Elliot CA, Kennedy C, Morgan G, Anderson SK, Morris D. Undergraduate physical activity and depressive symptoms: A national study. Am J Health Behav 2012;36(2):230-241
4. Pate RR, Freedson PS, Sallis JF, Taylor WC, Sirard J, Trost SG, et al. Compliance with physical activity guidelines: prevalence in a population of children and youth. Ann Epidemiol 2002;12:303-308.
5. Leslie E, Fotheringham MJ, Owen N, Bauman A. Age-related differences in physical activity levels of young adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2001;33:255- 258.
6. Nelson MC, Neumark-Stzainer D, Hannan PJ, Sirard JR, Story M. Longitudinal and secular trends in physical activity and sedentary behaviour during adolescence. Pediatrics 2006;118:e1627
7. Plotnikoff RC, Costigan SA, Williams RL, Hutchesson MJ, Kennedy SG, Robards SL, Allen J, Collins CE, Callister R, Germov J. Effectiveness of interventions targeting physical activity, nutrition and healthy weight for university and college students: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2015;12:45
8. Vankim NA, Nelson TF. Vigorous physical activity, mental health, perceived stress, and socializing among college students. Am J Health Promot 2013;28(1):7-15
9. UCAS. Largest ever proportion of UK's 18 year olds entered higher education in 2017, UCAS data reveals. 2017, https://www.ucas.com/corporate/new s-and-key-documents/news/largestever-proportion-uks-18-year-oldsentered-higher-education-2017-ucasdata-reveals
10. HESA. Students and graduates. 2016: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-andanalysis/students