The majority of available wearable devices require communication with Internet servers for data analysis and storage, and rely on a paired smartphone to enable secure communication. However, wearable devices are mostly equipped with WiFi network interfaces, enabling dir... View more
1. Apostolopoulos, G., Peris, V., and Saha, D. Transport Layer Security: How Much Does It Really Cost? In INFOCOM (Mar 1999), 717-725.
2. Coarfa, C., Druschel, P., and Wallach, D. S. Performance Analysis of TLS Web Servers. ACM Trans. Comput. Syst. 24, 1 (Feb. 2006), 39-69.
3. Danova, T. THE WEARABLES REPORT: Growth Trends, Consumer Attitudes, And Why Smartwatches Will Dominate. http://www.businessinsider.com.au/thewearable-computing-market-report-2014-10, Oct. 2014.
4. Friedman, R., Kogan, A., and Krivolapov, Y. On Power and Throughput Tradeoffs of WiFi and Bluetooth in Smartphones. IEEE Trans. on Mob. Comput. 12, 7 (July 2013), 1363-1376.
5. IETF. The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol Version 1.2. https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5246.
6. Miranda, P., Siekkinen, M., and Waris, H. TLS and Energy Consumption on a Mobile Device: A Measurement Study. In ISCC (June 2011), 983-989.
7. Naylor, D., Finamore, A., Leontiadis, I., Grunenberger, Y., Marco, M., Munafo`, M., Papagiannaki, K., and Steenkiste, P. The cost of the 'S' in HTTPS. In CoNeXT (Dec. 2014), 133-140.
8. Potlapally, N., Ravi, S., Raghunathan, A., and Jha, N. A study of the energy consumption characteristics of cryptographic algorithms and security protocols. IEEE Trans. on Mob. Comput. 5, 2 (Feb 2006), 128-143.
9. Sazonov, E., and Neuman, M. R. Wearable Sensors: Fundamentals, implementation and applications. Elsevier, 2014.
10. Shin, Y., Gupta, M., and Myers, S. A Study of the Performance of SSL on PDAs. In INFOCOM Workshops (Apr. 2009), 1-6.