In this chapter we review the progress in experiments with hybrid systems of trapped ions and ultracold neutral atoms. We give a theoretical overview over the atom-ion interactions in the cold regime and give a summary of the most important experimental results. We conc... View more
1. T. Rosenband, D. B. Hume, P. O. Schmidt, C. W. Chou, A. Brusch, L. Lorini, W. H. Oskay, R. E. Drullinger, T. M. Fortier, J. E. Stalnaker, S. A. Diddams, W. C. Swann, N. R. Newbury, W. M. Itano, D. J. Wineland, and J. C. Bergquist, Frequency ratio of Al+ and Hg+ single-ion optical clocks; metrology at the 17th decimal place, Science. 319, 1808, (2008).
2. T. Monz, P. Schindler, J. T. Barreiro, M. Chwalla, D. Nigg, W. A. Coish, M. Harlander, W. Hansel, M. Hennrich, and R. Blatt, 14-qubit entanglement: Creation and coherence, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 130506, (2011).
3. M. Riebe, H. Ha ner, C. F. Roos, W. Hansel, J. Benhelm, G. P. T. Lancaster, T. W. Korber, C. Becher, F. Schmidt-Kaler, D. F. V. James, and R. Blatt, Deterministic quantum teleportation with atoms, Nature. 429, 734, (2004).
4. M. D. Barrett, J. Chiaverini, T. Schaetz, J. Britton, W. M. Itano, J. D. Jost, E. Knill, C. Langer, D. Leibfried, R. Ozeri, and D. J. Wineland, Deterministic quantum teleportation of atomic qubits, Nature. 429, 737, (2004).
5. C. Kollath, M. Kohl, and T. Giamarchi, Scanning tunneling microscopy for ultracold atoms, Phys. Rev. A. 76, 063602, (2007).
6. A. T. Grier, M. Cetina, F. Orucevic, and V. Vuletic, Observation of cold collisions between trapped ions and trapped atoms, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 223201, (2009).
7. C. Zipkes, S. Palzer, C. Sias, and M. Kohl, A trapped single ion inside a Bose-Einstein condensate, Nature. 464, 388, (2010).
8. L. Ratschbacher, C. Zipkes, C. Sias, and M. Kohl, Controlling chemical reactions of a single particle, Nature Phys. 8, 649, (2012).
9. F. H. J. Hall, M. Aymar, N. Bouloufa-Maafa, O. Dulieu, and S. Willitsch, Light-assisted ion-neutral reactive processes in the cold regime: Radiative molecule formation versus charge exchange, Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 243202, (2011).
10. R. Co^te, V. Kharchenko, and M. D. Lukin, Mesoscopic molecular ions in Bose-Einstein condensates, Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 093001, (2002).