Long-distance collimation of fast electron beams generated by laser-metallic-wire targets has been observed in recent experiments, while the mechanism behind this phenomenon remains unclear. In this work, we investigate in detail the laser-wire interaction processes wit... View more
1. E. Esarey, C. B. Schroeder, and W. P. Leemans. Physics of laser-driven plasma-based electron accelerators. Rev. Mod. Phys., 81:1229-1285, Aug 2009.
2. U. Teubner and P. Gibbon. High-order harmonics from laser-irradiated plasma surfaces. Rev. Mod. Phys., 81:445- 479, Apr 2009.
3. Max Tabak, James Hammer, Michael E. Glinsky, William L. Kruer, Scott C. Wilks, John Woodworth, E. Michael Campbell, Michael D. Perry, and Rodney J. Mason. Ignition and high gain with ultrapowerful lasers. Physics of Plasmas, 1(5):1626-1634, 1994.
4. R. Kodama, P. A. Norreys, K. Mima, A. E. Dangor, R. G. Evans, H. Fujita, Y. Kitagawa, K. Krushelnick, T. Miyakoshi, N. Miyanaga, T. Norimatsu, S. J. Rose, T. Shozaki, K. Shigemori, A. Sunahara, M. Tampo, K. A. Tanaka, Y. Toyama, T. Yamanaka, and M. Zepf. Fast heating of ultrahigh-density plasma as a step towards laser fusion ignition. Nature, 412(6849):798-802, August 2001.
5. S. Bastiani, A. Rousse, J. P. Geindre, P. Audebert, femtosecond laser pulses. Phys. Rev. Lett., 106:255001, Jun C. Quoix, G. Hamoniaux, A. Antonetti, and J. C. Gau- 2011. thier. Experimental study of the interaction of subpicosec- 16. Hiroaki Nakajima, Shigeki Tokita, Shunsuke Inoue, Masaki ond laser pulses with solid targets of varying initial scale Hashida, and Shuji Sakabe. Divergence-free transport of lengths. Phys. Rev. E, 56:7179-7185, Dec 1997. laser-produced fast electrons along a meter-long wire tar-
6. Y. T. Li, J. Zhang, L. M. Chen, Y. F. Mu, T. J. Liang, get. Phys. Rev. Lett., 110:155001, Apr 2013. Z. Y. Wei, Q. L. Dong, Z. L. Chen, H. Teng, S. T. Chun-Yu, 17. H. Ruhl, Y. Sentoku, K. Mima, K. A. Tanaka, and W. M. Jiang, Z. J. Zheng, and X. W. Tang. Hot electrons in R. Kodama. Collimated electron jets by intense laserthe interaction of femtosecond laser pulses with foil targets beam˘plasma surface interaction under oblique incidence. at a moderate laser intensity. Phys. Rev. E, 64:046407, Sep Phys. Rev. Lett., 82:743-746, Jan 1999. 2001. 18. Y. Sentoku, H. Ruhl, K. Mima, R. Kodama, K. A. Tanaka,
7. M. Borghesi, A. J. MacKinnon, A. R. Bell, R. Gaillard, and and Y. Kishimoto. Plasma jet formation and magneticO. Willi. Megagauss magnetic field generation and plasma field generation in the intense laser plasma under oblique jet formation on solid targets irradiated by an ultraintense incidence. Physics of Plasmas, 6(7):2855-2861, 1999. picosecond laser pulse. Phys. Rev. Lett., 81:112-115, Jul 19. Deepak Kumar and Paul M. Bellan. Nonequilibrium 1998. alfv´enic plasma jets associated with spheromak formation.
8. R. Kodama, K. A. Tanaka, Y. Sentoku, T. Matsushita, Phys. Rev. Lett., 103:105003, Sep 2009. K. Takahashi, H. Fujita, Y. Kitagawa, Y. Kato, T. Ya- 20. S. C. Hsu and P. M. Bellan. On the jets, kinks, and spheromanaka, and K. Mima. Long-scale jet formation with maks formed by a planar magnetized coaxial gun. Physics specularly reflected light in ultraintense laser-plasma in- of Plasmas, 12(3):032103, 2005. teractions. Phys. Rev. Lett., 84:674-677, Jan 2000. 21. Wouter H. T. Vlemmings, Philip J. Diamond, and Hiroshi
9. Y. T. Li, X. H. Yuan, M. H. Xu, Z. Y. Zheng, Z. M. Sheng, Imai. A magnetically collimated jet from an evolved star. M. Chen, Y. Y. Ma, W. X. Liang, Q. Z. Yu, Y. Zhang, Nature, 440(7080):58-60, March 2006. F. Liu, Z. H. Wang, Z. Y. Wei, W. Zhao, Z. Jin, and 22. S. You, G. S. Yun, and P. M. Bellan. Dynamic and stagnatJ. Zhang. Observation of a fast electron beam emitted ing plasma flow leading to magnetic-flux-tube collimation. along the surface of a target irradiated by intense fem- Phys. Rev. Lett., 95:045002, Jul 2005. tosecond laser pulses. Phys. Rev. Lett., 96:165003, Apr 23. P. M. Bellan, M. Livio, Y. Kato, S. V. Lebedev, T. P. 2006. Ray, A. Ferrari, P. Hartigan, A. Frank, J. M. Foster, and
10. S. Chawla, M. S. Wei, R. Mishra, K. U Akli, C. D. Chen, P. Nicola¨ı. Astrophysical jets: Observations, numerical H. S. McLean, A. Morace, P. K. Patel, H. Sawada, Y. Sen- simulations, and laboratory experiments. Physics of Plastoku, R. B. Stephens, and F. N. Beg. Effect of target ma- mas, 16(4):041005, 2009. terial on fast-electron transport and resistive collimation. 24. P. M. Bellan. Miniconference on astrophysical jets. Physics Phys. Rev. Lett., 110:025001, Jan 2013. of Plasmas, 12(5):058301, 2005.