To bridge the gap between high and low fidelity numerical modeling tools for vertical-axis (or cross-flow) turbines (VATs or CFTs), an actuator line model (ALM) was developed and validated for both a high and a medium solidity vertical-axis turbine at rotor diameter Rey... View more
2. Paraschivoiu I. Wind Turbine Design with Emphasis on Darrieus Concept. 1st edn., Polytechnic International: Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 2002.
3. Ocean Renewable Power Company. America's first ocean energy delivered to the grid September 2012. URL http://orpc.co/newsevents_pressrelease.aspx?id=OPE6LzAgijk%3d.
4. Paulsen US, Pedersen TF, Madsen HA, Enevoldsen K, Nielsen PH, Hattel J, Zanne L, Battisti L, Brighenti A, Lacaze M, et al.. Deepwind- an innovative wind turbine concept for offshore. Proceedings of EWEA, Brussels, Belgium, 2011.
5. Sandia National Laboratories. Offshore use of vertical-axis wind turbines gets closer look July 2012. URL https: //share.sandia.gov/news/resources/news_releases/vawts/#.VyebsFgrJEY.
6. Dodd J. First 2MW Vertiwind vertical-axis prototype built. http://www.windpowermonthly. com/article/1305428/first-2mw-vertiwind-vertical-axis-prototype-built July 2014. URL http://www.windpowermonthly.com/article/1305428/ first-2mw-vertiwind-vertical-axis-prototype-built, accessed 5/2/2016.
7. Dabiri J. Potential order-of-magnitude enhancement of wind farm power density via counter-rotating vertical-axis wind turbine arrays. Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy 2011; 3:1-13, doi:10.1063/1.3608170.
8. Kinzel M, Mulligan Q, Dabiri JO. Energy exchange in an array of vertical-axis wind turbines. Journal of Turbulence 2012; 13:1-13, doi:10.1080/14685248.2012.712698.
9. Bachant P, Wosnik M. Characterising the near-wake of a cross-flow turbine. Journal of Turbulence January 2015; 16(4):392-410, doi:10.1080/14685248.2014.1001852.
10. Bachant P, Wosnik M. Modeling the near-wake of a vertical-axis cross-flow turbine with 2-D and 3-D RANS. arXiv preprint arXiv:1604.02611 Submitted to Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy 2016; URL http: //arxiv.org/abs/1604.02611.
11. Lam H, Peng H. Study of wake characteristics of a vertical axis wind turbine by two- and three-dimensional computational fluid dynamics simulations. Renewable Energy 2016; 90:386-398, doi:10.1016/j.renene.2016.01.011.