NoSQL databases support semi-structured data, typically modeled as JSON. They also provide limited (but expanding) query languages. Their idiomatic, non-SQL language constructs, the many variations, and the lack of formal semantics inhibit deep understanding of the quer... View more
1. S. Abiteboul, P. C. Fischer, and H.-J. Schek, editors. Nested Relations and Complex Objects, Papers from the Workshop "Theory and Applications of Nested Relations and Complex Objects", Darmstadt, Germany, April 6-8, 1987, volume 361 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, 1989.
2. F. Bancilhon, S. Cluet, and C. Delobel. A query language for the O2 object-oriented database system. In DBPL, pages 122-138, 1989.
3. A. Behm, V. R. Borkar, M. J. Carey, R. Grover, C. Li, N. Onose, R. Vernica, A. Deutsch, Y. Papakonstantinou, and V. J. Tsotras. ASTERIX: towards a scalable, semistructured data platform for evolving-world models. Distributed and Parallel Databases, 29(3):185-216, 2011.
4. K. S. Beyer, V. Ercegovac, R. Gemulla, A. Balmin, M. Y. Eltabakh, C.-C. Kanne, F. Özcan, and E. J. Shekita. Jaql: A scripting language for large scale semistructured data analysis. PVLDB, 4(12):1272-1283, 2011.
5. A. Bonifati and S. Ceri. Comparative analysis of five XML query languages. SIGMOD Record, 29(1):68-79, 2000.
9. G. DeCandia, D. Hastorun, M. Jampani, G. Kakulapati, A. Lakshman, A. Pilchin, S. Sivasubramanian, P. Vosshall, and W. Vogels. Dynamo: Amazon's highly available keyvalue store. In SOSP, pages 205-220, 2007.
10. A. Deutsch, M. F. Fernández, D. Florescu, A. Y. Levy, and D. Suciu. A query language for XML. Computer Networks, 31(11-16):1155-1169, 1999.