1. N. Bhattarai, J. Gunn and M. Zhang, Chitosan-based hydrogels for controlled, localized drug delivery, Adv. Drug Del. Rev. 62 (2010) 83-99; DOI: 10.1016/j.addr.2009.07.019.
2. E. R. Gariépy and J. C. Leroux, Chitosan: A Natural Polycation with Multiple Applications, in Polysaccharides for Drug Delivery and Pharmaceutical Applications (Eds. R. H. Marchessault, F. Ravenelle and X. X. Zhu), ACS Symposium Series, Vol. 934, Washington 2006, pp. 243-259; DOI: 10.1021/ bk-2006-0934.ch012.
3. T. W. Wong, Chitosan and its use in design of insulin delivery system, Recent Pat. Drug Del. Formul. 3 (2009) 8-25.
4. A. E. B. Yassin, A. A. Ibrahim and M. A. Abdulah, Chitosan beads as a new gastroretentive system of verapamil, Sci. Pharm. 74 (2006) 175-188. [OpenAIRE]
5. S. Y. Park, K. S. Marsh and J. W. Rhim, Characteristics of different molecular weight chitosan films affected by the type of organic solvents, J. Food Sci. 67 (2002) 194-197; DOI: 10.1111/j.1365- -2621.2002.tb11382.x.
6. J. Ali, S. Arora, A. Ahuja, A. K. Babbar, R. K. Sharma, R. K. Khar and S. Baboota, Formulation and development of hydrodynamically balanced system for metformin: In vitro and in vivo evaluation, Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm. 67 (2007) 196-201; DOI: 10.1016/j.ejpb.2006.12.015.
7. United States Pharmacopoeia 27/National Formulary 22, USP Pharmacopoeial Convention, Rockville (MD) 2000.
8. D. W. A. Bourne, Pharmacokinetics, in Modern Pharmaceutics (Eds. G. S. Banker and C. T. Rhodes), 4th ed., Marcel Dekker, New York 2002, pp. 67-92.
9. T. Higuchi, Rate of release of medicaments from ointment bases containing drugs in suspensions, J. Pharm. Sci. 50 (1961) 874-875; DOI: 10.1002/jps.2600501018.
10. R. W. Korsmeyer, R. Gurny, E. Doelker, P. Buri and N. A. Peppas, Mechanisms of solute release from porous hydrophilic polymers, Int. J. Pharm. 15 (1983) 25-35; DOI: 10.1016/0378-5173(83) 90064-9. [OpenAIRE]
11. A. M. Qandil, A. A. Obaidat, M. A. Mohammed Ali, B. M. Al-Taani, B. M. Tashtoush, N. D. Al-Jbour, M. M. Al Remawi, K. A. Al-Sou'od and A. A. Badwan, Investigation of the interactions in complexes of low molecular weight chitosan with ibuprofen, J. Solution Chem. 38 (2009) 695-712; DOI: 10.1007/s10953-009-9405-4.
12. W. Erni and K. Held, The hydrodynamically balanced system: a novel principle of controlled drug release, Eur. Neurol. 27 (1987) 21-27; DOI: 10.1159/000116171.
13. P. R. Sheth and J. Tossounian, The hydrodynamically balanced system (HbsTm): A novel drug delivery system for oral use, Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm. 10 (1984) 313-339.
14. L. S. Wan, P. W. Heng and L. F. Wong, Relationship between swelling and drug release in a hydrophilic matrix, Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm. 19 (1993) 1201-1210; DOI: 10.3109/03639049309063012.
15. P. J. Cox, K. A. Khan, D. L. Munday and J. Sujja-areevath, Development and evaluation of a multiple-unit oral sustained release dosage form for S (+)-ibuprofen: preparation and release kinetics, Int. J. Pharm. 193 (1999) 73-84; DOI: 10.1016/S0378-5173(99)00320-8.