Subject: psychotic disorder; metabolic syndrome; side effects; antipsychotics
Background: Metabolic syndrome and other cardiovascular risk factors are highly prevalent in people with schizophrenia.
Metabolic syndrome can contribute to significant morbidity and premature mortality and should be accounted for in the treatment of
mental disord... View more
1. American Psychiatric Association: Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with schizophrenia. 2nd ed. Am J Psychiatry 2004; 161:1-114.
2. Barnett AH, Mackin P, Chaudhry I, Farooqi A, Gadsby R, Heald A, Hill J, Millar H, Peveler R, Rees A, Singh V, Taylor D, Vora J & Jones PB: Minimising metabolic and cardiovascular risk in schizophrenia: diabetes, obesity and dyslipidaemia. J Psychopharmacol 2007; 21:357-73.
3. Birkenaes AB, Birkeland KI, Engh JA, Faerden A, Jonsdottir H, Ringen PA, Friis S, Opjordsmoen S & Andreassen OA: Dyslipidemia independent of body mass in antipsychotic-treated patients under real-life conditions. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2008; 28:132-7.
4. Blonde L, Kan HJ, Gutterman EM, L'Italien GJ, Kim MS, Hanssens L & McQuade RD: Predicted risk of diabetes and coronary heart disease in patients with schizophrenia: aripiprazole versus standard of care. J Clin Psychiatry 2008; 69:741-8.
5. Blouin M, Tremblay A, Jalbert ME, Venables H, Bouchard RH, Roy MA & Alméras N: Adiposity and eating behaviors in patients under second generation antipsychotics. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2008; 16:1780-7.
6. Bouguerra R, Alberti H, Smida H, Salem LB, Rayana CB, El Atti J, Achour A, Gaigi S, Slama CB, Zouari B & Alberti KG: Waist circumference cut-off points for identification of abdominal obesity among the tunisian adult population. Diabetes Obes Metab 2007; 9(6):859-68.
7. Bushe C & Holt R: Prevalence of diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance in patients with schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry 2004; 184:S67-71.
8. Correll CU, Frederickson AM, Kane JM & Manu P: Does antipsychotic polypharmacy increase the risk for metabolic syndrome? Schizophr Res 2007; 89(1- 3):91-100.
9. DE Hert M, Dekker JM, Wood D, Kahl KG, Holt RI & Möller HJ: Cardiovascular disease and diabetes in people with severe mental illness position statement from the European Psychiatric Association (EPA), supported by the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) and the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Psychiatry 2009; 24:412-24.
10. DE Hert M, Schreurs V, Vancampfort D & VAN Winkel R: Metabolic syndrome in people with schizophrenia: a review. World Psychiatry 2009; 8:15-22.