Dividend payout and corporate governance in emerging markets: which governance provisions matter?
Subject: Corporate governance; Outcome and substitution agency models of dividends; Dividend payout; Emerging markets.
In this paper I examine the relationship between individual corporate governance provisions and corporate dividend payout. Using a sample of 220 firms from 21 emerging market countries, I show that dividend payout is an outcome of strong corporate governance. On closer ... View more
1. Adjaoud, F., and Ben-Amar, W. (2010). 'Corporate governance and dividend policy: shareholders' protection or expropriation?' Journal of Business, Finance, & Accounting, Vol. 37, pp. 648-667.
2. Aggarwal, R., Erel, I., Stulz, R., and Williamson, R. (2009). 'Differences in governance practices between U.S. and foreign firms: measurement, causes, and consequences' Review of Financial Studies, Vol. 22, pp. 3131-3169.
3. Almeida, H., Campello, M., and Weisbach, M. (2004). 'The cash flow sensitivity of cash' Journal of Finance, pp. 1777-1804.
4. Al Shabibi, B., and G. Ramesh. (2011). 'An empirical study of the determinants of dividend policy in the UK' International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, Vol. 80, pp. 105-120.
5. Bartram, S., Brown, P., How, J., and Verhoeven, P. (2012). 'Agency conflicts and corporate payout policies: a global study' Lancaster University, Working Paper.
6. Bebchuk, L., Cohen, A., and Ferrell, A. (2009). 'What matters in corporate governance?' Review of Financial Studies, Vol. 22, pp. 783-827.
7. Bebchuk, L., Cohen, A., and Wang, C. (2012). 'Learning and disappearing association between governance and returns' Journal of Financial Economics (Forthcoming).
8. Black, B., de Carvalho, A., and Gorga, E. (2011). 'What matters and for which firms for corporate governance in emerging markets? Evidence from Brazil (and other BRIK countries)' Journal of Corporate Finance (In Press).
9. Brockman, P., and Unlu, E. (2009). 'Dividend policy, creditor rights, and the agency costs of debt' Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 92, pp. 276-299.
10. Brockman, P., and Unlu, E. (2011). 'Earned/contributed capital, dividend policy, and disclosure quality: an international study' Journal of Banking & Finance, Vol. 35, pp. 1610-1625.