Using Japanese facility-level data from an Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development survey, we estimate the effects of implementation of ISO14001 and publication of environmental reports on the facilities’ environmental performance. While most previous stu... View more
1. R. N. L. Andrews, D. Amaral, S. Keiner, N. Darnall, D. R. Gallagher, D. Edwards Jr., A. Hutson, C. D'Amore, L.Sun, and Y. Zhang, Environmental Management Systems: Do They Improve Performance?, Project Final Report for U.S. EPA, Office of Water and Office of Policy, Economics and Innovation, (2003).
3. C. Coglianese and J. Nash, Environmental management System and the New Policy Agenda. In Regulation from the Inside: Can Environmental Management System Achieve Policy Goals, edited by Coglianese, Cary and Jennifer Nash. Washington, DC. Resources for the Future Press, 1-25 (2001).
4. S. Chib and E. Greenberg, Bayesian Analysis of Multivariate Probit Models, Biometrica, 85, 347-361 (1998).
5. K. Dahlström, C. Howes, O. Leinster, and J. Skea, Environmental Management Systems and Company Performance: Assessing the Case for Extending Risk-based Regulation, European Environment, 13, 187-203 (2003).
6. N. Darnall, Why U.S. Firms Certify to ISO14001: An Institutional and Resource-based View, Proceedings of the 2003 Academy of Management Conferences, (2003).
7. S. Dasgupta, H. Hettige, and D. Wheeler, What Improves Environmental Performance? Evidence from Mexican Industry, J. Environ. Econom. Management, 39, 39-66 (2000).
8. J. Geweke, Bayesian Inference in Econometric Models Using Monte Carlo Integration, Econometrica, 57, 1317-1340 (1989).
9. V. Hajivassiliou, Smooth Simulation Estimation of Panel Data LDV Models, Department of Economics, Yale University, (1990).
10. J. T. Hamilton, Pollution as News: Media and Stock Market Reactions to the Toxics Release Inventory Data, J. Environ. Econom. Management, 28, 98-113 (1995).
11. A. Hibiki and T. H. Arimura, Environmental Policy Tools and Firm-Level Management in Japan, available at http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/22/29/31650143.pdf (2004).