The Diffusion of Academic Achievements: Social Selection and Influence in Student Networks
Sofia Dokuka; Diliara Valeeva; Maria Yudkevich;
Subject: social networks, academic achievements, peer group effects, higher education
jel: jel:D85 | jel:I21 | jel:I23
Peer group effects show the influence of student social environments on their individual achievements. Traditionally, a social environment is considered by researchers of peer effects as exogenously given. However, significant peers that affect performance are often tho... View more
1. Androushchak, G., Poldin, O., & Yudkevich, M. (2013). Role of peers in student academic achievement in exogenously formed university groups. Educational Studies, 39(5), 568-581.
2. Angrist, J. D., & Lang, K. (2004). Does school integration generate peer effects? Evidence from Boston's Metco Program. American Economic Review, 94(5), 1613-1634.
3. Arcidiacono, P., Foster, G., Goodpaster, N., & Kinsler, J. (2012). Estimating spillovers using panel data, with an application to the classroom. Quantitative Economics, 3(3), 421-470.
4. Arcidiacono, P., & Nicholson, S. (2005). Peer effects in medical school. Journal of Public Economics, 89(2), 327-350.
5. Baerveldt, C., de la Rúa, F., & Van de Bunt, G. G. (2010). Why and how selection patterns in classroom networks differ between students. The potential influence of networks size preferences, level of information, and group membership. Redes: revista hispana para el análisis de redes sociales 19, 273-298.
6. Bank, B. J., Slavings, R. L., & Biddle, B. J. (1990). Effects of peer, faculty, and parental influences on students' persistence. Sociology of Education, 208-225.
7. Brunello, G., De Paola, M., & Scoppa, V. (2010). Peer effects in higher education: Does the field of study matter? Economic Inquiry, 48(3), 621-634.
8. Burke, M. A., & Sass, T. R. (2013). Classroom peer effects and student achievement. Journal of Labor Economics, 31(1), 51-82.
9. Carrell, S. E., Fullerton, R. L., & West, J. E. (2008). Does your cohort matter? Measuring peer effects in college achievement (No. w14032). National Bureau of Economic Research.
10. Coleman, J. S., Campbell, E. Q., Hobson, C. J., McPartland, J., Mood, A. M., Weinfeld, F. D., & York, R. L. (1966). Equality of educational opportunity [Summary report (Vol. 2). US Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Office of Education.