Objective: the aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of consumption of a ketogenic diet supplemented with triheptanoin, a medium-chain anaplerotic triacylglycerol, on the liver fatty acid profile of Wistar rats. Methods: three groups of male Wistar rats (n = 1... View more
1. Levy RG, Cooper PN, Giri P. Ketogenic diet and other dietary treatments for epilepsy. Cochrane Database. Syst Rev 2012; 3: CD001903.
2. Neal EG, Chaffe H, Schwartz RH, Lawson MS, Edwards N, Fitzsimmons G, et al. A randomized trial of classical and medium-chain triglyceride ketogenic diets in the treatment of childhood epilepsy. Epilepsia 2009; 50: 1109-1117.
3. Roe CR, Sweetman L, Roe DS, David F, Brunengraber H. Treatment of cardiomyopathy and rhabdomyolysis in longchain fat oxidation disorders using an anaplerotic odd-chain triglyceride. J Clin Invest 2002; 110: 259-269.
4. Kim TH, Borges K, Petrou S, Reid CA. Triheptanoin reduces seizure susceptibility in a syndrome-specific mouse model of generalized epilepsy. Epilepsy Res 2013; 103: 101-105.
5. Willis S, Stoll J, Sweetman L, Borges K. Anticonvulsant effects of a triheptanoin diet in two mouse chronic seizure models. Neurobiol Dis 2010; 40: 565-572.
6. Borges K, Sonnewald U. Triheptanoin - a medium chain triglyceride with odd chain fatty acids: a new anaplerotic anticonvulsant treatment? Epilepsy Res 2012; 100: 239-244.
7. Gama IR, Trindade-Filho EM, Oliveira SL, Bueno NB, Melo IT, Cabral-Junior CR, da Rocha Ataide, T. (2014). Effects of ketogenic diets on the occurrence of pilocarpine-induced status epilepticus of rats. Metabolic brain disease, 1-6.
10. Ataíde TR, Oliveira SL, Da Silva FM, Vitorino Silva LGC, Tavares MCN, Sant'Ana AEG. Toxicological analysis of the chronic consumption of diheptanoin and triheptanoin in rats. Int J Food Sci and Tech 2009; 44: 484-492.