BACKGROUND: Evidence on adverse effects of maternal macrolide use during pregnancy is inconsistent. We conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis to investigate the association between macrolide use during pregnancy and adverse fetal and child outcomes. METHODS AND... View more
1. Petersen I, Gilbert R, Evans S, Ridolfi A, Nazareth I. Oral antibiotic prescribing during pregnancy in primary care: UK population-based study. The Journal of antimicrobial chemotherapy. 2010; 65 (10):2238-46. Epub 2010/08/19. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkq307 PMID: 20716554.
2. Crider KS, Cleves MA, Reefhuis J, Berry RJ, Hobbs CA, Hu DJ. Antibacterial medication use during pregnancy and risk of birth defects: National Birth Defects Prevention Study. Archives of pediatrics & adolescent medicine. 2009; 163(11):978-85. Epub 2009/11/04. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpediatrics. 2009.188 PMID: 19884587.
3. Einarson A, Phillips E, Mawji F, D'Alimonte D, Schick B, Addis A, et al. A prospective controlled multicentre study of clarithromycin in pregnancy. Am J Perinatol. 1998; 15(9):523-5. Epub 1999/01/16. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-994053 PMID: 9890248.
5. Meeraus WH, Petersen I, Gilbert R. Association between antibiotic prescribing in pregnancy and cerebral palsy or epilepsy in children born at term: a cohort study using the health improvement network. PLoS One. 2015; 10(3):e0122034. Epub 2015/03/26. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0122034 PMID: 25807115; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc4373729.
6. Kenyon S, Pike K, Jones DR, Brocklehurst P, Marlow N, Salt A, et al. Childhood outcomes after prescription of antibiotics to pregnant women with spontaneous preterm labour: 7-year follow-up of the ORACLE II trial. Lancet. 2008; 372(9646):1319-27. Epub 2008/09/23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140- 6736(08)61203-9 PMID: 18804276.
7. Andersen JT, Petersen M, Jimenez-Solem E, Broedbaek K, Andersen NL, Torp-Pedersen C, et al. Clarithromycin in early pregnancy and the risk of miscarriage and malformation: a register based nationwide cohort study. PLoS One. 2013; 8(1):e53327. Epub 2013/01/10. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone. 0053327 PMID: 23301061; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc3534696.
8. Muanda FT, Sheehy O, Berard A. Use of antibiotics during pregnancy and risk of spontaneous abortion. CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association journal = journal de l'Association medicale canadienne. 2017; 189(17):E625-e33. Epub 2017/05/04. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.161020 PMID: 28461374; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC5415390 involving antidepressants and birth defects. No other competing interests were declared.
9. Kallen B, Danielsson BR. Fetal safety of erythromycin. An update of Swedish data. European journal of clinical pharmacology. 2014; 70(3):355-60. Epub 2013/12/20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00228-013- 1624-3 PMID: 24352632.
10. Le Nguyen T, Araujo M, Hurault-Delarue C, Lacroix I, Damase-Michel C, Sommet A. Teratogenic risk of macrolides during the first trimester of pregnancy: A study with two complementary approaches within the EFEMERIS database. Fundamental and Clinical Pharmacology. 2017; 31:25. PMID: 615223251.