The Annual Review of Competence Progression (ARCP) is the process used to determine whether trainee doctors in the United Kingdom are safe and competent to progress to the next training stage. Criticisms from doctors led to a review of the ARCP in 2017, for which the cu... View more
1. A Reference Guide for Postgraduate Specialty Training in the UK: The Gold Guide. 6th Edition ed.: Conference of Postgraduate Medical Deans of the United Kingdom, 2016.
2. Barrett A, Galvin R, Steinert Y, et al. A BEME (Best Evidence in Medical Education) systematic review of the use of workplace-based assessment in identifying and remediating poor performance among postgraduate medical trainees. Systematic Reviews 2015; 4: 65. journal article. DOI: 10.1186/s13643-015-0056-9.
3. Kogan JR, Holmboe ES and Hauer KE. Tools for direct observation and assessment of clinical skills of medical trainees: A systematic review. JAMA 2009; 302: 1316-1326. DOI: 10.1001/jama.2009.1365.
4. Massie J and Ali JM. Workplace-based assessment: a review of user perceptions and strategies to address the identified shortcomings. Advances in Health Sciences Education 2016; 21: 455-473. journal article. DOI: 10.1007/s10459-015-9614-0.
5. Miller A and Archer J. Impact of workplace based assessment on doctors' education and performance: a systematic review. BMJ (Clinical research ed) 2010; 341. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.c5064.
6. Moonen-van Loon JMW, Overeem K, Donkers HHLM, et al. Composite reliability of a workplace-based assessment toolbox for postgraduate medical education. Advances in Health Sciences Education 2013; 18: 1087-1102. journal article. DOI: 10.1007/s10459-013- 9450-z.
7. Driessen E, Van Tartwijk J, Van Der Vleuten C, et al. Portfolios in medical education: why do they meet with mixed success? A systematic review. Medical Education 2007; 41: 1224-1233. DOI: doi:10.1111/j.1365-2923.2007.02944.x.
8. Holmboe ES, Sherbino J, Long DM, et al. The role of assessment in competencybased medical education. Medical Teacher 2010; 32: 676-682. DOI: 10.3109/0142159X.2010.500704.
9. ten Cate O. The false dichotomy of quality and quantity in the discourse around assessment in competency-based education. Advances in Health Sciences Education 2015; 20: 835-838. journal article. DOI: 10.1007/s10459-014-9527-3.
10. van der Vleuten CPM and Schuwirth LWT. Assessing professional competence: from methods to programmes. Medical Education 2005; 39: 309-317. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365- 2929.2005.02094.x.