Increasingly stringent targets on energy efficiency and emissions, as well as growing vehicle electrification are making attractive the electric recovery of the energy normally wasted through the tailpipe of Internal Combustion Engines. Recent developments in thermoelec... View more
1. Bell, L., “Cooling, heating, generating power, and recovering waste heat with thermoelectric systems”, Science, 321, pp. 1457-1461, 2008.
2. European Commission, EU Climate and Energy Package, 2010, available at http://ec.europa.eu/clima/documentation/package/docs/cli mate_package_en.pdf , (accessed October 25th, 2012).
3. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). 2017 and Later Model Year Light-Duty Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards -Final Rule. Federal Register / Vol. 77, No. 199 / Monday, October 15, 2012 / Rules and Regulations. available at http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/rulemaking/pdf/cafe/201 7-25_CAFE_Final_Rule.pdf (accessed October 25th, 2012).
4. Martins, J., “Motores de Combustão Interna”, 4th edition (revised and extended, in Portuguese), Publindustria, Porto, Portugal, ISBN: 978-989-723-033-2, 2013.
5. Heywood, J., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw Hill, 1988.
6. Ribeiro, B. and Martins, J., “Direct Comparison of an Engine Working under Otto, Miller and Diesel cycles: Thermodynamic Analysis and Real Engine Performance”, SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0261, 2007.
7. Martins, J. J.G., Uzuneanu, K., Ribeiro, B. and Jasansky, O., "Thermodynamic Analysis of an Over-Expanded Engine", SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0617, included in 'Modeling of Spark Ignition Engines', edited by SAE (ISBN Number: 0-7680-1366-6), 2004.
8. Hung, T. C., Shai, T. Y. and Wang S. K. “A review of organic rankine cycles (ORCs) for the recovery of lowgrade waste heat”, Energy, Elsevier, 22-7, pp. 661-667, 1997.
9. Weerasinghe, W., Stobart, R., Hounsham, S., “Thermal efficiency improvement in high output diesel engines a comparison of a Rankine cycle with turbo-compounding”, Appl Thermal Eng, Elsevier, 30(14-15), pp. 2253-2256, 2010.
10. Vining, C.B. “An inconvenient truth about thermoelectrics”, Nature Materials, 8, February 2009.