Direct comparasion of an engine working under Otto, Miller end Diesel cycles : thermodynamic analysis and real engine performance
Ribeiro, Bernardo Sousa; Martins, Jorge;
Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers
One of the ways to improve thermodynamic efficiency of
Spark Ignition engines is by the optimisation of valve
timing and lift and compression ratio. The throttleless
engine and the Miller cycle engine are proven concepts
for efficiency improvements of such e... View more
1. Martins, J., Uzuneanu, K, Ribeiro, B., Jasansky, O, Thermodynamic Analysis of an over-Expanded Engine, SAE 2004-01-0617, 2004.
2. Ribeiro, B., Martins, J, Kothari, N., Otto and VCR Miller Engine Performance during the European Driving Cycle, SAE 2006-01-0440, 2006.
3. Ahmad, T., Theobald, M. A., A Survey of VariableValve-Actuation Technology, SAE 891674, 1989.
4. Stone, Richard, Kwan, Eric, Variable Valve Actuation Mechanisms and the Potential for their Application, SAE 890673, 1989.
5. Hannibal, W., Flierl, R., Stiegler, L., Meyer, R., Overview of Current Continuously Variable Valve Lift Systems for Four-Stroke Spark-Ignition Engines and the Criteria for their Design Ratings, SAE 2004-01- 1263, 2004.
6. Urata, Y., Umiyama, H., Shimizu, K., Fujiyoshi, Y., Sono, H., Fukuo, K., A Study of Vehicle Equipped with Non-Throttling S.I. Engine with Early Intake Valve Closing Mechanism, SAE 930829, 1993.
7. Flierl, R. and Kluting, M., The Third Generation of Valvetrains-New Fully Variable Valvetrains for Throttle-Free Load Control, SAE 2000-01-1227, 2000
8. Drangel, H., Olofsson, E., Reinmann, R., The Variable Compression (SVC) and the Combustion Control (SCC) - Two Ways to Improve Fuel Economy and Still Comply with World-Wide Emission Requirements, SAE 2002-01-0996, 2002.
9. Clarke, et al., Internal combustion engine with adjustable compression ratio and knock control, US Patent 6,135,086, 2000.
10. Brevick, Variable compression ratio piston, US Patent 5,755,192, 1998.