Subject: Systems biology | Molecular Biology | Applied Mathematics | Liver injury | Research Article | Cell proliferation | 570 Life sciences | Virtual liver network | 570 | Mouse | Bile duct ligation | 610 Medical sciences Medicine | Cholestasis | Morphological profiling | 610 | Fibrosis | Modelling and Simulation | Structural Biology
Background Disrupted bile secretion leads to liver damage characterized by inflammation, fibrosis, eventually cirrhosis, and hepatocellular cancer. As obstructive cholestasis often progresses insidiously, markers for the diagnosis and staging of the disease are urgently... View more
1. Wang H, Vohra BPS, Zhang Y, Heuckeroth RO. Transcriptional profiling after bile duct ligation identifies PAI-1 as a contributor to cholestatic injury in mice. Hepatology. 2005;42(5):1099-108.
2. Woolbright BL, Antoine DJ, Jenkins RE, Bajt ML, Park BK, Jaeschke H. Plasma biomarkers of liver injury and inflammation demonstrate a lack of apoptosis during obstructive cholestasis in mice. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2013;273(3):524-31.
3. Lindblad L, Lundholm K, Schersten T. Bile acid concentrations in systemic and portal serum in presumably normal man and in cholestatic and cirrhotic conditions. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1977;12(4):395-400.
4. Trauner M, Meier PJ, Boyer JL. Molecular pathogenesis of cholestasis. N Engl J Med. 1998;339(17):1217-27.
5. Nguyen KD, Sundaram V, Ayoub WS. Atypical causes of cholestasis. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20(28):9418-26.
6. Tag CG, Sauer-Lehnen S, Weiskirchen S, Borkham-Kamphorst E, Tolba RH, Tacke F, et al. Bile duct ligation in mice: induction of inflammatory liver injury and fibrosis by obstructive cholestasis. J Vis Exp. 2015;96.
7. Georgiev P, Jochum W, Heinrich S, Jang JH, Nocito A, Dahm F, et al. Characterization of time-related changes after experimental bile duct ligation. Br J Surg. 2008;95(5):646-56.
8. Huss S, Schmitz J, Goltz D, Fischer H-P, Büttner R, Weiskirchen R. Development and evaluation of an open source Delphi-based software for morphometric quantification of liver fibrosis. Fibrogenesis Tissue Repair. 2010;3(1):10.
9. Tanaka A, Tsuneyama K, Mikami M, Uegaki S, Aiso M, Takikawa H. Gene expression profiling in whole liver of bile duct ligated rats: VEGF-A expression is up-regulated in hepatocytes adjacent to the portal tracts. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007;22(11):1993-2000.
10. Spurgeon SL, Jones RC, Ramakrishnan R. High throughput gene expression measurement with real time PCR in a microfluidic dynamic array. PLoS One. 2008;3(2), e1662.