Subject: Exergames | Mobility | Research Article | Geriatric rehabilitation | 610 Medicine & health | Adherence | Motivation | Older adults | Self-regulated exercise | Geriatrics and Gerontology
Improving mobility in elderly persons is a primary goal in geriatric rehabilitation. Self-regulated exercises with instruction leaflets are used to increase training volume but adherence is often low. Exergames may improve adherence. This study therefore ... View more
1. European Commission. People in the EU - statistics on demographic changes [http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/ People_in_the_EU_%E2%80%93_statistics_on_demographic_changes]. Accessed 14 July 2016.
2. de Bruin PDE, Schoene D, Pichierri G, Smith ST. Use of virtual reality technique for the training of motor control in the elderly. Z Gerontol Geriatr. 2010;43:229-34.
3. World Health Organisation. Global recommendations on physical activity for health. Geneva: World Health Organisation; 2010.
4. National Institute on Aging at NIH. Go4Life [https://go4life.nia.nih.gov/exercises]. Accessed 14 July 2016.
5. Bachmann S, Finger C, Huss A, Egger M, Stuck AE, Clough-Gorr KM. Inpatient rehabilitation specifically designed for geriatric patients: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. BMJ. 2010;340:c1718.
6. Everink IH, van Haastregt JC, van Hoof SJ, Schols JM, Kempen GI. Factors influencing home discharge after inpatient rehabilitation of older patients: a systematic review. BMC Geriatr. 2016;16:5.
7. Cameron ID, Gillespie LD, Robertson MC, Murray GR, Hill KD, Cumming RG, Kerse N. Interventions for preventing falls in older people in care facilities and hospitals. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;12:CD005465.
8. Brox E, Fernandez-Luque L, Tøllefsen T. Healthy gaming-video game design to promote health. Appl Clin Inf. 2011;2:128-42.
9. Gil-Gómez J-A, Lloréns R, Alcañiz M, Colomer C. Effectiveness of a Wii balance board-based system (eBaViR) for balance rehabilitation: a pilot randomized clinical trial in patients with acquired brain injury. J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2011;8:1.
10. Rendon AA, Lohman EB, Thorpe D, Johnson EG, Medina E, Bradley B. The effect of virtual reality gaming on dynamic balance in older adults. Age Ageing. 2012;41:549-52.