Subject: Research Article | gender equality in employment | Sexual and Gender Issues | United Kingdom | Sociology | Social Discrimination | Human Families | Geographical locations | Employment | Families | role of motherhood | Careers | Population Groupings | Economics | Mothers | Labor Economics | People and places | Social Sciences | European Union | Gender discrimination | Europe | motherhood myths
The issue of gender equality in employment has given rise to numerous policies in
advanced industrial countries, all aimed at tackling gender discrimination regarding recruitment,
salary and promotion. Yet gender inequalities in the workplace persist. The purpose
... View more
1. The Global Gender Gap Report: 2016. Geneva: World Economic Forum; 2016.
2. Arulampalam W, Booth AL, Bryan ML. Is there a glass ceiling over Europe?: exploring the gender pay gap across the wage distribution. Ind Labor Relat Rev. 2007; 60(2): 163±186.
3. European Union. Tackling the gender pay gap in the European Union. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union; 2014.
4. Davison HK, Burke MJ. Sex Discrimination in Simulated Employment Contexts: A Meta-analytic Investigation. J Vocat Behav. 2000 Apr; 56(2): 225±248.
5. Koch AJ, D'Mello SD, Sackett PR. A meta-analysis of gender stereotypes and bias in experimental simulations of employment decision making. J Appl Psychol. 2015 Jan; 100(1): 128±161. https://doi. org/10.1037/a0036734 PMID: 24865576
6. Masser B, Abrams D. Reinforcing the glass ceiling: The consequences of hostile sexism for female managerial candidates. Sex Roles. 2004; 51(9±10): 609±615.
7. Stamarski CS, Son Hing LS. Gender inequalities in the workplace: the effects of organizational structures, processes, practices, and decision makers' sexism. Front Psychol [Internet]. 2015 Sep 16 [cited 2016 Nov 7]; 6. Available from: http://journal.frontiersin.org/Article/10.3389/fpsyg.2015.01400/ abstract
8. Burri S, van Eijken H. Gender equality law in 33 European countries how are EU rules transposed into national law?. Brussels: European Commission; 2014 [cited 2016 Mar 11]. http://bookshop.europa. eu/uri?target=EUB:NOTICE:DSAD14001:EN:HTML
9. Costa-Lopes R, Dovidio JF, Pereira CR, Jost JT. Social psychological perspectives on the legitimation of social inequality: Past, present and future: Introduction to issue on legitimation of social inequality. Eur J Soc Psychol. 2013 Jun; 43(4): 229±237.
10. Crandall CS, Eshleman A. A justification-suppression model of the expression and experience of prejudice. Psychol Bull. 2003; 129(3): 414±446. PMID: 12784937