An approach to balance problems and falls in elderly persons
de Villiers, L; Kalula, S Z;
Publisher: Health and Medical Publishing Group
Gait instability and falls are common in elderly persons and have devastating consequences, with substantial morbidity and mortality. Furthermore, they are a precipitant for functional decline, increasing frailty and institutionalisation. The rate of falls and severity ... View more
1. Tinetti ME. Clinical practice: Preventing falls in elderly persons. N Engl J Med 2003:348(1):4249.
2. Hausdorf JM, Rios DA, Edelberg HK. Gait variability and fall risk in communityliving older adults: A 1year prospective study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2001;82(8):10501056.
3. Rubenstein LZ. Falls in older people: Epidemiology, risk factors and strategies for prevention. Age Ageing 2006;35(Suppl 2):ii37ii41.
4. Zijlstra GA, van Haastregt JC, van Eijk JT, van Rossum E, Stalenhoef PA, Kempen GI. Prevalence and correlates of fear of falling, and associated avoidance of activity in the general population of communityliving older people. Age Ageing 2007;36(3):304309.
5. Ambrose AF, Hausdorf JM. Risk factors for falls among older adults: A review of the literature. Maturitas 2013;75(1):5161. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2013.02.009]
6. Horak FB. Postural orientation and equilibrium: What do we need to know about neural control of balance to prevent falls? Age Ageing 2006; 35(Suppl 2):ii7ii11.
7. Manini TM, Clark BC. Dynapenia and aging: An update. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2012;67(1):28 40. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glr010]
8. Lord SR, Menz HB, Tiedemann A. A physiological profile approach to falls risk assessment and prevention. Phys eThr 2003;3:237252.
9. Salzman B. Gait and balance disorders in older adults. Am Fam Physician 2010;82(1):6168.
10. Woolcott JC, Richardson KJ, Wiens MO, et al. Metaanalysis of the impact of 9 medication classes on falls in elderly persons. Arch Intern Med 2009;169(21):19521960.