Due to increasing concerns of global rare earth element shortfalls in the near future, possible alternative sources of rare earth elements have recently become of economic interest. One such alternative is decanting acid mine water originating primarily from abandoned o... View more
1. LUSTY, P. and WALTERS, A. Rare earth elements. British Geological Survey, Nottingham, UK, 2010. 45 pp. (Minerals Profile).
2. HE, X., ZHANG, Z., ZHANG, H., ZHAO, Y. and CHAI, Z. Neurotoxicological evaluation of long-term lanthanum chloride. Toxicological Sciences, vol. 103, 2008. pp. 354-361.
3. WEIDONG, Y., PING, Z., JIESHENG, L. and YANFANG, X. Effect of long-term intake of Y3+ in drinking water on gene expression in brains of rats. Journal of Rare Earths, vol. 24, 2006. pp. 369-373.
5. NAGASAKI, S., TANAKAA, S. and SUZUKIA, A. Affinity of finely dispersed montmorillonite colloidal particles for. Journal of Nuclear Materials, vol. 244, 1997. pp. 29-35.
6. RASMUSSEN, B., FLETCHER, I.R., MUHLING, J.R., MUELLER, A.G. and HALL, G.C. Bushveld-aged fluid flow, peak metamorphism, and gold mobilization in the Witwatersrand basin, South Africa: Constraints from in situ SHRIMP U-Pb dating of monazite and xenotime. Geology, vol. 35, 2007. pp. 931-934.
7. CETINER, Z.S., WOOD, S.A. and GAMMONS, C.H. The aqueous geochemistry of the rare earth elements. Part XIV. The solubility of rare earth element phosphates from 23 to 150°C. Chemical Geology, vol. 217, 2005. pp. 147-169.
8. COETZEE, H., WINDE, F., and WADE, P.W. An assessment of sources, pathways, mechanisms and risks of current and potential future pollution of water and sediments in gold-mining areas of the Wonderfonteinspruit catchment. Report No. 1214/1/06. Water Research Commission, Pretoria, 2006.
9. SHIRVANI, M., SHARIATMADARI, H., and KALBASI, M. Kinetics of cadmium desorption from fibrous silicate clay minerals: Influence of organic ligands and aging. Applied Clay Science, vol. 37, 2007. pp. 175-184.
10. BASHIRI, H. Desorption kinetics at the solid/solution interface: a theoretical description by statistical rate theory for close-to-equilibrium systems. The Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 115, 2011. pp. 5732-5739.
11. WANG, D.Z., JIANG, X., RAO, W., and HE, J.Z. Kinetics of soil cadmium desorption under simulated acid rain. Ecological Complexity, vol. 6, 2009. pp. 432-437.