Matzopoulos, R G; Truen, S; Bowman, B; Corrigall, J;
Publisher: Health and Medical Publishing Group
mesheuropmc: health care economics and organizations
BACKGROUND: The economic, social and health costs associated with alcohol-related harms are important measures with which to inform alcohol management policies and laws. This analysis builds on previous cost estimates for South Africa. METHODS: We reviewed existing inte... View more
1. Parry CDH, Myers B, Thiede M. eTh case for an increased tax on alcohol in South Africa. S Afr J Econ 2003;71(2):265-281. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1813-6982.2003.tb01308.x]
2. Single E, Robson L, Xie X, Rehm J. eTh economic costs of alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs in Canada, 1992. Addiction 1998;93(7):991-1006. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09652149835170]
3. Budlender D. National and Provincial Government Spending and Revenue Related to Alcohol Abuse. Johannesburg: Soul City Development Institute, 2009.
4. A & T Consulting. Industry Study: eTh South African Liquor Industry. Pretoria: Department of Trade and Industry, 2005. http://www.restaurant.org.za/downloads/SALiquorIndustryJune05.pdf (accessed 10 December 2013).
5. Møller L, Matic S. Best Practice in Estimating the Costs of Alcohol: Recommendations for Future Studies. Copenhagen: WHO Regional Ofice for Europe, 2010.
6. Collins D, Lapsley H, Brochu S, et al. International Guidelines for the Estimation of the Avoidable Costs of Substance Abuse. Ottawa: Health Canada, 2006.
7. Jones L, Bates G, McCoy E, et al. eTh Economic and Social Costs of Alcohol-related Harm in Leeds 2008-09. Liverpool: Liverpool John Moores University, 2010.
8. Norman R, Bradshaw D, Schneider M, et al. Estimating the burden of disease attributable to interpersonal violence in South Africa in 2000. S Afr Med J 2007;97(8):653-656.
9. Schneider M, Norman R, Parry C, Bradshaw D, Plüddemann A. Estimating the burden of disease attributable to alcohol use in South Africa in 2000. S Afr Med J 2007;97(8):664-672.
10. Bradshaw D, Groenewald P, Laubscher R, et al. Initial Burden of Disease Estimates for South Africa, 2000. Parow, Cape Town: Burden of Disease Research Unit, Medical Research Council of South Africa, 2003.