Perceptions of mental illness among Muslim general practitioners in South Africa
Mohamed-Kaloo, Z; Laher, S;
Publisher: Health and Medical Publishing Group
BACKGROUND: Mental health literacy on the part of medical practitioners is an important component of mental healthcare. General practitioners (GPs) are typically the first doctors consulted by a person who is ill. Exploration of their perceptions regarding mental illnes... View more
1. Williams DR, Herman A, Stein DJ, et al. Twelvemonth mental disorders in South Africa: Prevalence, service use and demographic correlates in the populationbased South African Stress and Health Study. Psychol Med 2008;38(2):211220. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0033291707001420]
2. Sorsdahl K, Stein DJ, Grimsrud A, et al. Traditional healers in the treatment of common mental disorders in South Africa. J Nerv Ment Dis 2009;197(6):434441. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/ NMD.0b013e3181a61dbc]
3. Hugo CJ, Boshof DEL, Traut A, ZunguDirwayi N, Stein DJ. Community attitudes toward and knowledge of mental illness in South Africa. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2003;38(12):715719. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s0012700306953]
4. Petersen I, Lund C. Mental health service delivery in South Africa from 2000 to 2010: One step forward, one step back. S Afr Med J 2011;101(10):751757.
5. Ally Y, Laher S. South African Muslim faith healers perceptions of mental illness: Understanding, aetiology and treatment. J Relig Health 2008;47(1):4556. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s1094300791332]
6. Bulbulia T, Laher S. Perceptions of mental illness among South African Muslim psychiatrists. South African Journal of Psychiatry 2013;19(2):5254.
7. Ng C. eTh stigma of mental illness in Asian cultures. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 1997;31(3):382392. [http:// dx.doi.org/10.3109/00048679709073848]
8. Chiu L, Ganesan S, Clark N, Morrow M. Spirituality and treatment choices by South and East Asian women with serious mental illness. Transcult Psychiatry 2005;42(4):630656. [http://dx.doi. org/10.1177/1363461505058920]
9. Sorsdahl K, Stein DJ. Knowledge of and stigma associated with mental disorders in a South African community sample. J Nerv Ment Dis 2010;198(10):742747. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/ NMD.0b013e3181f4b2d7]
10. Greenwood N, Hussain F, Burns T, Raphael F. Asian inpatient and carer views of mental health care: Asian views of mental health care. J Ment Health 2000;9(4):397408. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/jmh.9.4.397.408]