This study focussed on the impact of process variables on levels of phytate and phenolic compounds, and in vitro solubility of iron (Fe) and zinc (Zn) in sorghum porridges, a major staple in semi-arid tropics. The aim was to identify practices that enhance the mineral a... View more
1. Svanberg U and Lorri W, Fermentation and nutrient availability. Food Control 8:319-327 (1997).
2. Frossard E, Bucher M, Mächler F, Mozafar A and Hurrell R, Potential for increasing the content and bioavailability of Fe, Zn, and Ca in plants for human nutrition. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriciculture 80:861-879 (2000).
3. Graf E, Chemistry and application of phytic acid: An overview. In Graf E.(ed.) Phytic acid: Chemistry and application. Pilatus Press: Minneapolis, MN, pp 1-21 (1986).
4. Duodu KG, Taylor JRN, Belton PS, and Hamaker BR, Factors affecting sorghum protein digestibility. Journal of Cereal Science 38:117-131 (2003).
5. Hounhouigan DJ, La valorisation des céréales locales pour les marchés urbains en Afriques de l'Ouest: les atouts, contraintes et perspectives, in Food based approaches for a healthy nutrition in West Africa; Proceedings of the 2nd international workshop, Brouwer I.D., Traore A.S. and Treche S. University of Ouagadougou, Ouagadougou; Institute for Development Research, Montpellier; Wageningen University, Wageningen; Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome, Ouagadougou, pp 359-368 (2004).
6. Kayodé APP, Adégbidi A, Linnemann AR, Nout MJR and Hounhouigan DJ, Quality of farmer's varieties of sorghum and derived foods as perceived by consumers in Benin. Ecology of Food and Nutrition 44:271-294 (2005).
7. Brekke O L and Kwolek WF, Corn dry-milling: cold-tempering and degermination of corn of various initial moisture content. Cereal Chemistry 46:545-559 (1969).
8. Reichert RD, Sorghum dry milling. In sorghum in the eighties : Proceedings of the international symposium on sorghum, 2-7 November 1981, Patancheru, AP, India (Vol.2). ICRISAT, Patancheru, AP, India. pp. 547-564 (1982).
9. Sahay KM, Evaluation of a general purpose abrasive mill for pearling of coarse cereals and dehusking of pulses. International Journal of Food Science and Technology 25:220-225 (1990).
10. Beta T, Rooney LW, Marovatsanga L and Taylor JRN, Phenolic compounds and kernel characteristics of Zimbabwean sorghums Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 79:1003-1010 (1999).