Preferences for food and nutritional supplements among adult people living with HIV in Malawi
Rodas Moya, Carlos; Kodish, Stephen; Manary, Mark; Grede, Nils; Pee, de, Saskia;
Subject: Malawi | Nutritional supplementation | HIV | People living with HIV | Food preferences
<p>Objective: To elucidate the factors influencing food intake and preferences for potential nutritional supplements to treat mild and moderate malnutrition among adult people living with HIV (PLHIV). Design: Qualitative research using in-depth interviews with a triangu... View more
1. Anema A, Vogenthaler N, Frongillo EA et al. (2009) Food insecurity and HIV/AIDS: current knowledge, gaps, and research priorities. Curr HIV/AIDS Rep 6, 224-231.
2. Wanke C & Kotler D (2004) Collaborative recommendations: the approach to diagnosis and treatment of HIV wasting. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 37, Suppl. 5, S284-S288.
3. de Pee S & Semba RD (2010) Role of nutrition in HIV infection: review of evidence for more effective programming in resource-limited settings. Food Nutr Bull 31, 4 Suppl., S313-S344.
4. Koethe JR, Chi BH, Megazzini KM et al. (2009) Macronutrient supplementation for malnourished HIV-infected adults: a review of the evidence in resource-adequate and resource-constrained settings. Clin Infect Dis 49, 787-798.
5. Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (2010) Global Report: UNAIDS Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic 2010. Geneva: UNAIDS.
6. Berhe N, Tegabu D & Alemayehu M (2013) Effect of nutritional factors on adherence to antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected adults: a case control study in Northern Ethiopia. BMC Infect Dis 13, 233.
7. Frega R, Duffy F, Rawat R et al. (2010) Food insecurity in the context of HIV/AIDS: a framework for a new era of programming. Food Nutr Bull 31, 4 Suppl., S292-S312.
8. Bloem MW & Saadeh R (2010) Foreword: the role of nutrition and food insecurity in HIV and tuberculosis infections and the implications for interventions in resource-limited settings. Food Nutr Bull 31, 4 Suppl., S289-S291.
9. Semba RD, Darnton-Hill I & de Pee S (2010) Addressing tuberculosis in the context of malnutrition and HIV coinfection. Food Nutr Bull 31, 4 Suppl., S345-S364.
10. Tiyou A, Belachew T, Alemseged F et al. (2012) Food insecurity and associated factors among HIV-infected individuals receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy in Jimma zone Southwest Ethiopia. Nutr J 11, 51.