textabstractNarrow arterioles in the retina have been shown to predict hypertension as well as other vascular diseases, likely through an increase in the peripheral resistance of the microcirculatory flow. In this study, we performed a genome-wide association study in 1... View more
1. Ikram MK, de Jong FJ, Vingerling JR, Witteman JC, Hofman A, et al. (2004) Are retinal arteriolar or venular diameters associated with markers for cardiovascular disorders? The Rotterdam Study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45: 2129-2134.
2. Sasongko MB, Wong TY, Wang JJ (2010) Retinal arteriolar changes: intermediate pathways linking early life exposures to cardiovascular disease? Microcirculation 17: 21-31.
3. Wang JJ, Liew G, Klein R, Rochtchina E, Knudtson MD, et al. (2007) Retinal vessel diameter and cardiovascular mortality: pooled data analysis from two older populations. Eur Heart J 28: 1984-1992.
4. Wang JJ, Liew G, Wong TY, Smith W, Klein R, et al. (2006) Retinal vascular calibre and the risk of coronary heart disease-related death. Heart 92: 1583- 1587.
5. Wong TY, Klein R, Sharrett AR, Duncan BB, Couper DJ, et al. (2004) Retinal arteriolar diameter and risk for hypertension. Ann Intern Med 140: 248-255.
6. Smith W, Wang JJ, Wong TY, Rochtchina E, Klein R, et al. (2004) Retinal arteriolar narrowing is associated with 5-year incident severe hypertension: the Blue Mountains Eye Study. Hypertension 44: 442-447.
7. Wang JJ, Rochtchina E, Liew G, Tan AG, Wong TY, et al. (2008) The longterm relation among retinal arteriolar narrowing, blood pressure, and incident severe hypertension. Am J Epidemiol 168: 80-88.
8. Kawasaki R, Cheung N, Wang JJ, Klein R, Klein BE, et al. (2009) Retinal vessel diameters and risk of hypertension: the Multiethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. J Hypertens 27: 2386-2393.
9. Kifley A, Wang JJ, Cugati S, Wong TY, Mitchell P (2008) Retinal vascular caliber and the long-term risk of diabetes and impaired fasting glucose: the Blue Mountains Eye Study. Microcirculation 15: 373-377.
10. Wong TY, Klein R, Sharrett AR, Schmidt MI, Pankow JS, et al. (2002) Retinal arteriolar narrowing and risk of diabetes mellitus in middle-aged persons. JAMA 287: 2528-2533.