A new procedure for deep sea mining tailings disposal
Ma, W.; Schott, D.L.; Lodewijks, G.;
Subject: environmental challenge | analytic network process (ANP) | waste handling | SBDR tailings disposal procedure | deep sea mining | OA-Fund TU Delft
Deep sea mining tailings disposal is a new environmental challenge related to water pollution, mineral crust waste handling, and ocean biology. The objective of this paper is to propose a new tailings disposal procedure for the deep sea mining industry. Through comparis... View more
1. Bury, J. Mining Mountains: Neoliberalism, land tenure, livelihoods, and the new Peruvian mining industry in Cajamarca. Environ. Plan. A 2005, 37, 221-239. [CrossRef]
2. Kline, E.R.; Stekoll, M.S. Colonization of mine tailings by marine invertebrates. Mar. Environ. Res. 2001, 51, 301-325. [CrossRef]
3. Lee, M.R.; Correa, J.A. Effects of copper mine tailings disposal on littoral meiofaunal assemblages in the Atacama region of northern Chile. Mar. Environ. Res. 2005, 59, 1-18. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
4. Mero, J.L. The Mineral Resources of the Sea; Elsevier: Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1965.
5. Ma, W.; Schott, D.; Lodewijks, G. Continuous line bucket lifting versus pipe lifting. J. Offshore Mech. Arct. Eng. 2017.
6. Sharma, R. Deep-sea mining: Economic, technical, technological, and environmental considerations for sustainable development. Mar. Technol. Soc. J. 2011, 45, 28-41. [CrossRef]
7. Theriault, J.; Frostiak, J.; Welch, D. Surface disposal of paste tailings at the Bulyanhulu gold mine, Tanzania. In Proceedings of the Sudbury 2003 Mining and the Environment Conference, Sudbury, ON, Canada, 25-28 May 2003; pp. 265-269.
8. Franks, D.M.; Boger, D.V.; Côte, C.M.; Mulligan, D.R. Sustainable development principles for the disposal of mining and mineral processing wastes. Resour. Policy 2011, 36, 114-122. [CrossRef]
9. Newman, P.; White, R.; Cadden, A. Paste, the future of tailings disposal. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Mining and the Environment, Skelleftea, Sweden, 25 June-1 July 2001; pp. 594-603.
10. Komnitsas, K.; Kontopoulos, A.; Lazar, I.; Cambridge, M. Risk assessment and proposed remedial actions in coastal tailings disposal sites in Romania. Miner. Eng. 1998, 11, 1179-1190. [CrossRef]