In this thesis some recent technological developments in human surgery are evaluated for their potential use in veterinary medicine by introducing them as surgical innovations for canine gonadectomy. Barbed sutures achieve wound apposition without surgical knot tying an...
1. Strong VE, Forde KA, MacFadyen BV, Mellinger JD, Crookes PF, Sillin LF, Shadduck PP: Ethical considerations regarding the implementation of new technologies and techniques in surgery. Surg Endosc 2014;28:2272-2276.
2. Wilson TG: Advancement of technology and its impact on urologists: release of the Da Vinci Xi, a new surgical robot. Eur Urol 2014;66:793-794.
3. Campbell B: Surgical aphorisms. Brit J Surg 2013;100:1673-1674.
4. Hughes-Hallett A, Mayer EK, Marcus HJ, Cundy TP, Pratt PJ, Parston G, Vale JA, Darzi AW: Quantifying innovation in surgery. Ann Surg 2014;260:205-211.
5. Rogers WA, Lotz M, Hutchison K, Pourmoslemi A, Eyers A: Identifying surgical innovations: a qualitative study of surgeons' views. Ann Surg 2014;259:273-278.
6. Angelos P: Ethics and surgical innovations: challenges to the professionalism of surgeons. Int J Surg 2013;11 Suppl 1:S2-5.
86. Sahin DA, Kusaslan R, Sahin O, Akbulut G, Bas O, Dilek ON: Histopathological effects of bipolar vessel sealing devices on liver parenchyma and comparison with suture method: an experimental study. Eur Surg Res 2007;39:111-117.
87. Kim FJ, Chammas MF, Gewehr E, Morihisa M, Caldas F, Hayacibara E, Baptistussi M, Meyer F, Martins AC: Temperature safety profile of laparoscopic devices: Harmonic ACE (ACE), LigaSure V (LV), and Plasma Trisector (PT). Surg Endosc 2008;22:1464-1469.
88. Lamberton GR, Hsi RS, Jin DH, Lindler TU, Jellison FC, Baldwin DD: Prospective comparison of four laparoscopic vessel ligation devices. J Endourol 2008;22:2307-2312.
89. Dubiel B, Shires PK, Korvick D, Chekan EG: Electromagnetic energy sources in surgery. Vet Surg 2010;39:909-924.