Sexuality, Elites, and Court Life in the Late Seventeenth Century: The Diaries of Constantijn Huygens, Jr.
textabstractIn the last quarter of the seventeenth century, the following joke circulated in the Dutch Republic: A very fat nobleman married a lady-in-waiting of the Princess of Orange. Because of his big belly, he was afraid that he would not be able to manage intercou... View more
7. Jacques le Goff and Jean-Claude Schmitt, eds., Le Charivari (Paris: Mouton, 1981). On charivari in the Netherlands, see Gerard Rooijakkers and Tiny Romme, eds., Charivari in de Nederlanden: Rituele sancties op deviant gedrag (Amsterdam: P. J. Meertens Inst., 16. Cf. Anna Clark, Women's Silence, Men's Violence: Sexual Assault in England 1770- 1845 (London: Pandora, 1987). Clark argues that in England in the period 1770-1845 18. Dennis Rubini, "Sexuality and Augustan England: Sodomy, Politics, Elite Circles and Society," in The Pursuit of Sodomy, p. 363. The author links this with other information.
19. "Sodomitical Assaults, Gender Role, and Sexual Development in Eighteenth-Century London," in The Pursuit of Sodomy, p. 409. On Van Zuylen, see Rudolf Dekker, "'Private vices, public benefits' Revisited: The Dutch Background of Bernard Mandeville," History of European Ideas 14 (1992): 481-98.
20. W. P. C. Knuttel, Verboden boeken in de Republiek der Vereenigde Nederlanden ('s Gravenhage: Martinus Nijhoff, 1914), no. 186. Cf. Arend H. Huussen, "Censorship in the Netherlands," in The Age of William III and Mary II: Power, Politics, and Patronage, 1688- 1702, ed. Robert P. Maccubbin & Martha Hamilton-Phillips (Williamsburg: College of William & Mary; N.Y.: Grolier Club; Washington, D.C.: Folger Shakespeare Library, 1989), pp. 347-51; A. C. Duke and C. A. Tamse, eds., Too Mighty to be Free: Censorship and the Press in Britain and the Netherlands (Zutphen: Walburg Pers, 1988).
21. Histoire des amours de Marechal de Boufflers, ou ses intrigues galantes avant son marriage avec Mlle de Grammont (Paris [Holland], 1696). See J. Lemonnyer, Bibliographie des ouvrages relatifs a l'amour, aux femmes et au mariage, vol. 2 (Lille, 1897), p. 537.
22. Edith B. Gelles, "Gossip: An Eighteenth-Century Case," Journal of Social History 22 (1989): 667-83; Cf. John Bossy, Christianity in the West 1400-1700 (Oxford: Oxford Univ., 1985), p. 16. Emmanuel le Roy Ladurie's Montaillou village occitan de 1294 à 1324 (Paris: Gallimard, 1975), is an analysis of village gossip.