Determining sociability, social space, and social presence in (A)synchronous collaborative groups
Kreijns, K.; Kirschner, P.A.; Jochems, W.; Buuren, H. van;
The effectiveness of group learning in asynchronous distributed learning groups depends on the social interaction that takes place. This social interaction affects both cognitive and socioemotional processes that take place during learning, group forming, establishment ... View more
1. Gregor, S.D., & Cuskelly, E.F. (1994). Computer mediated communication in distance education. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning 10:168-181.
2. Hallet, K., & Cummings, J. (1997). The virtual classroom as authentic experience: Collaborative, problem-based learning in a WWW environment. In: Proceedings of the annual conference on distance teaching and learning: competition-connection-collaboration. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin-Madison, pp. 103-107.
3. Heath, E.F. (1998). Two cheers and a pint of worry: an on-line course in political and social philosophy. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks 2:15-33.
4. Mason, R. (1991). Analyzing computer conferencing interactions. International Journal of Adult Education and Training 2:161-173.
5. Gunawardena, C.N. (1995). Social presence theory and implications for interaction and collaborative learning in computer conferences. International Journal of Educational Telecommunications 1:147-166.
6. Hiltz, S.R. (1998). Collaborative learning in asynchronous learning networks: building learning communities. Presented at the WEB98, Orlando, Florida. Available: http://eies.njit.edu/~hiltz/collaborative learning in asynch.htm.
7. Hobaugh, C.F. (1997). Interactive strategies for collaborative learning. In: Proceedings of the annual conference on distance teaching and learning: competition-connection-collaboration. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin-Madison, pp. 121-125.
8. Hughes, C., & Hewson, L. (1998). Online interactions: developing a neglected aspect of the virtual classroom. Educational Technology 38:48-55.
9. Taha, L.H., & Caldwell, B.S. (1993). Social isolation and intergration in electronic environments. Behaviour & Information Technology 12:276-283.
10. Kreijns, K., Kirschner, P.A., & Jochems, W. (2003a). Identifying the pitfalls for social interaction in computer-supported collaborative learning environments: a review of the research. Computers in Human Behavior 19:335-353.