TiC/a-C:H nanocomposite coatings have been deposited by magnetron Sputtering. They consist of 2-5 nm TiC nanocrystallites embedded in the amorphous hydrocarbon (a-C:H) matrix. A transition from a Columnar to a glassy microstructure has been observed in the nanocomposite... View more
1. Pei, Y. T., Galvan, D. and De Hosson, J. Th. M., Nanostructure and properties of TiC/a-C:H composite coatings. Acta Mater., 2005, in press.
2. Meng, W. J. and Gillispie, B. A., Mechanical properties of Ticontaining and W-containing diamond-like carbon coatings. J. Appl. Phys., 1998, 84, 4314-4321.
3. Meng, W. J., Tittsworth, R. C. and Rehn, L. E., Mechanical properties and microstructure of TiC/amorphous hydrocarbon nanocomposite coatings. Thin Solid Films, 2000, 377-378, 222-232.
4. Strondl, C., Carvalho, N. M., De Hosson, J. Th. M. and Van der Kolk, G. J., Investigation on the formation of tungsten carbide in tungstencontaining diamond like carbon coatings. Surf. Coat. Technol., 2003, 162, 288-293.
5. Pharr, G. M., Measurement of mechanical properties by ultra-low load indentation. Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 1998, A253, 151-159.
6. Lawn, B. R., Evans, A. G. and Marshall, D. B., Elastic/plastic indentation damage in ceramics: the median/radial crack system. J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 1980, 63, 574-581.
7. Pei, Y. T., Galvan, D., De Hosson, J. Th. M. and Cavaleiro, A., Nanostructured TiC/a-C coatings for low friction and wear resistant applications. Surf. Coat. Technol., 2005, 198, 44-50.
8. Leyland, A. and Matthews, A., On the significance of the H/E ratio in wear control: a nanocomposite coating approach to optimised tribological behaviour. Wear, 2000, 246, 1-11.