Subject: critical events | artificial neural networks | depth function | data-driven modelling | training | information-rich data
Artificial Neural Networks (ANNs) are classified as a data-driven technique, which implies that their learning improves as more and more training data are presented. This observation is based on the premise that a longer time series of training samples will contain more... View more
1. Maier, H.R.; Dandy, G.C. Neural networks for the prediction and forecasting of water resources variables: A review of modelling issues and applications. Environ. Model. Softw. 2000, 15, 101-124.
2. Bowden, G.J.; Maier, H.R.; Dandy, G.C. Optimal division of data for neural network models in water resources applications. Water Resour. Res. 2002, 38, 1010.
3. Anctil, F.; Perrin, C.; Andréassian, V. Impact of the length of observed records on the performance of ANN and of conceptual parsimonious rainfall-runoff forecasting models. Environm. Model. Softw. 2004, 19, 357-368.
4. Bowden, G.J.; Dandy, G.C.; Maier, H.R. Input determination for neural network models in water resources applications. Part 1-Background and methodology. J. Hydrol. 2005, 301, 75-92.
5. Leahy, P.; Kiely, G.; Corcoran, G. Structural optimisation and input selection of an artificial neural network for river level prediction. J. Hydrol. 2008, 355, 192-201.
6. Nawi, N.M.; Atomi, W.H.; Rehman, M. The effect of data pre-processing on optimized training of artificial neural networks. Procedia Technol. 2013, 11, 32-39.
7. Marinkovic´, Z.; Markovic´, V. Training data pre-processing for bias-dependent neural models of microwave transistor scattering parameters. Sci. Publ. State Univ. NOVI Pazar Ser. A Appl. Math. Inform. Mech. 2010, 2, 21-28.
8. Gaweda, A.E.; Zurada, J.M.; Setiono, R. Input selection in data-driven fuzzy modeling. In Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Conference of Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE), Melbourne, VIC, Australia, 2-5 December 2001; Volume 1, pp. 2-5.
9. May, R.J.; Maier, H.R.; Dandy, G.C.; Fernando, T.M.K. Non-linear variable selection for artificial neural networks using partial mutual information. Environ. Model. Softw. 2008, 23, 1312-1326.
10. Fernando, T.M.K.G.; Maier, H.R.; Dandy, G.C. Selection of input variables for data-driven models: An average shifted histogram partial mutual information estimator approach. J. Hydrol. 2009, 367, 165-176.