Background: Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disease characterized by chronic hyperglycemia resulting from defects in insulin secretion, almost always with a major contribution from insulin resistance which may be affected by cell membrane fatty acids and phospholipids ... View more
1. Carranza A, Karabatas L, Barontini M, Armando I. Decreased tubular uptake of L-3, 4-dihydroxyphenylalanine in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Hormone Res. 2001; 55(6):282-7.
2. Zeghari N, Yonsi M, Meyer L, et al. Adipocyte and erythrocyte plasma membrane phospholipids composition and hyperinsulinemia: a study in nondiabetic and diabetic obese woman. Intern J Obesity. 2000;24(12):1600-1607.
3. Brownlee M. Biochemistry and molecular cell biology of diabetic complications. Nature. 2001;414:813-820.
4. Ryu JK, Lee T, Kim D, et al. Free radical scavenging activity of Korean red ginseng for erectile dysfunction in non-insulindependent diabetes mellitus rats. Urology. 2005;65(3):-615.
5. Kesavulu MM, Kameswararao B, Apparao Ch, Kumar EG, Harinarayan CV. Effect of Omega-3 fatty acids on lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzyme status in type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes Metab. 2002;28:20-26.
6. Saravanan R, Viswana P, Pugalendi KV. Protective effect of urosolic acid on ethanol-Mediated experimental liver damage in rats. Life Sciences. 2006;78:713-718.
7. Di Marino L, Maffettone A, Copirano P, et al. Is the erythrocyte membrane fatty acid composition a valid index of skeletal muscle membrane fatty acid coposition. Metabolism. 2000; 49:1164-6.
8. Tinahones FJ, Pareja A, Sorgure FJ, et al. Surfing the insulin signaling. Eur J Clin Invest. 2001;31:966- 977.
9. Baur LA, O'Connor J, Pan DA, et al. Reltionships between the fatty acid composition of muscle and erythrocyte membrane phospholipids in young children and the effect of type of infant feeding. Lipids. 2000;35:77-82.
10. Enriquez Y R, Giri M , Rottiers R, Christophe A. Fatty acid composition of erythrocyte phospholipids is related to insulin levels, secretion and resistance in obese type 2 diabetics on Metformin. Clinica Chimica Acta. 2004;346(2):145-152.