1. South African National Research Foundation (NRF). NRF vision 2015: Strategic plan of the National Research Foundation. Pretoria: NRF; 2008.
2. South African National Research Foundation (NRF). Evaluation and rating 2016: Guidelines and instructions for completing the application for evaluation and rating via the NRF Online Submission System. Pretoria: NRF; 2015. Available from: https://www.cput.ac.za/storage/research/research_ directorate/funding/apply_nrf_rated_researcher_18022016.pdf
3. The South African Medical Research Council (MRC) Strategic Plan for the fiscal years 2014/15-2018/19. South African Medical Research Council; 2014.
4. South African Department of Science and Technology (DST). Innovation towards a knowledge-based economy: Ten-Year Plan for South Africa (2008-2018). Pretoria: DST; 2007.
Report of the Ministerial Committee for the Review of the Funding of Universities. Pretoria: Department of Higher Education and Training; 2013.
Macleod C. The incentive system for research is bad for scholarship. University World News. 2010 June 06. Available from: http://www.universityworldnews.
8. Khor KA, Yu LG. Influence of international collaboration on the research impact of young universities. In: Salah AA, Tonta Y, Akdag Salah AA, Sugimoto C, Al U, editors. Proceedings of the 15th International Society of Scientometrics and Informetrics Conference; 2015 June 29 - 04 July; Istanbul, Turkey. Istanbul: Bogaziçi University; 2015. p. 278-279. Available from: http://www. issi2015.org/files/downloads/all-papers/0278.pdf
9. Sooryamoorthy R. Do types of collaboration change citation? Collaboration and citation patterns of South African science publications. Scientometrics. 2009;81(1):177-193. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11192-009-2126-z [OpenAIRE]
10. Colledge L. Snowball Metrics recipe book. 2nd ed. Amsterdam: Snowball Metrics program partners; 2014. Available from: http://www.snowballmetrics. com/wp-content/uploads/snowball-recipe-book_HR.pdf
11. Scopus [database on the Internet]. No date [cited 2015 Dec 15]. Available from: http://www.scopus.com/.
12. SciVal [database on the Internet]. c2015 [cited 2015 Dec 15]. Available from: http://scival.com/.
13. Aksnes DW. A macro study of self-citation. Scientometrics. 2003;56(2):235- 246. http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1021919228368 [OpenAIRE]
14. Van Raan AFJ. The influence of international collaboration on the impact of research results - Some simple mathematical considerations concerning the role of self-citations. Scientometrics. 1998;42(3):423-428. http://dx.doi. org/10.1007/BF02458380
15. Ministerial statement on university funding: 2015/16 and 2016/17. Pretoria: Department of Higher Education and Training; 2014.