Subject: R | Research Article | Medicine(all) | Medicine
<p>Abstract</p> <p>Background</p> <p>A season of birth effect in immune-mediated diseases (ID) such as multiple sclerosis and type 1 diabetes has been consistently reported. We aimed to investigate whether season of birth influences the risk of rheumatoid arthritis, Cro... View more
1. Shapira Y, Agmon-Levin N, Shoenfeld Y: Defining and analyzing geoepidemiology and human autoimmunity. J Autoimmun 2010, 34: J168-177.
2. In Seasonality Encyclopedia of Human Nutrition.. 2 edition. Edited by: Branca F, D'Acapito P. Oxford: Elsevier; 2005:.
3. Barker DJ: The Wellcome Foundation Lecture, 1994. The fetal origins of adult disease. Proc Biol Sci 1995, 262:37-43.
4. Langley-Evans SC, McMullen S: Developmental origins of adult disease. Med Princ Pract 2010, 19:87-98.
5. Willer CJ, Dyment DA, Sadovnick AD, Rothwell PM, Murray TJ, Ebers GC: Timing of birth and risk of multiple sclerosis: population based study. BMJ 2005, 330:120.
6. Kahn HS, Morgan TM, Case LD, Dabelea D, Mayer-Davis EJ, Lawrence JM, Marcovina SM, Imperatore G: Association of type 1 diabetes with month of birth among U.S. youth: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study. Diabetes Care 2009, 32:2010-2015.
7. Rothwell P, Staines A, Smail P, Wadsworth E, McKinney P: Seasonality of birth of patients with childhood diabetes in Britain. BMJ 1996, 312(7044):1456-1457.
8. Ekbom A, Zack M, Adami HO, Helmick C: Is there clustering of inflammatory bowel disease at birth? Am J Epidemiol 1991, 134:876-886.
9. Haslam N, Mayberry JF, Hawthorne AB, Newcombe RG, Holmes GK, Probert CS: Measles, month of birth, and Crohn's disease. Gut 2000, 47:801-803.
10. Sorensen HT, Pedersen L, Norgard B, Fonager K, Rothman KJ: Does month of birth affect risk of Crohn's disease in childhood and adolescence? BMJ 2001, 323:907.