Objective: To determine the prevalence of suicidal ideation among Métis men and women (20-59 years) and identify its associated risk and protective factors using data from the nationally representative Aboriginal Peoples Survey (2006).Study design: Secondary analysis of... View more
1. Royal Commission on Aboriginal People. Final report of the Royal Commission on Aboriginal People: Me´tis perspectives. Ottawa: Royal Commission on Aboriginal People; 1996. 10 p.
2. Bartlett JG, Iwasaki Y, Gottlieb B, Hall D, Mannell R. Framework for Aboriginal-guided decolonizing research involving Me´tis and First Nations persons with diabetes. Soc Sci Med. 2007;65:2371 82.
3. Gionet L. Me´tis in Canada: selected findings of the 2006 Census. Ottawa: Statistics Canada; 2009. p. 21, 23, 24.
4. Statistics Canada. 2006 Census: data products. Topic-based tabulations [database on the Internet]. 2008 [cited 2009 July 10]. Available from: http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recen sement/2006/dp-pd/tbt/Rp-eng.cfm?LANG=E&APATH=3& DETAIL=0&DIM=0&FL=A&FREE=0&GC=0&GID=0& GK=0&GRP=1&PID=97446&PRID=0&PTYPE=88971,97154 &S=0&SHOWALL=0&SUB=0&Temporal=2006&THEME=73 &VID=0&VNAMEE=&VNAMEF=.
5. Martens PJ, Bartlett J, Burland E, Prior H, Burchill C, Huq S, et al. Profile of Metis health status and healthcare utilization in Manitoba: a population-based study. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy; 2010. 196 p.
6. Tjepkema M, Wilkins R, Sene´cal S, Guimond E, Penney C. Mortality of Me´tis and Registered Indian adults in Canada: an 11-year follow-up study. Health Rep. 2009;20:31 51.
7. Lemstra M, Neudorf C, Mackenbach J, Kershaw T, Nannapaneni U, Scott C. Suicidal ideation: the role of economic and aboriginal cultural status after multivariate adjustment. Can J Psychiatry. 2009;54:589 95.
8. Women of the Me´tis Nation. Health policy paper. Ottawa: Women of the Me´tis Nation, Me´tis National Council; 2007. 5 p.
9. Nock MK, Borges G, Bromet EJ, Alonso J, Angermeyer M, Beautrais A, et al. Cross-national prevalence and risk factors for suicidal ideation, plans and attempts. Br J Psychiatry. 2008;192:98 105.
10. Bebbington PE, Cooper C, Minot S, Brugha TS, Jenkins R, Meltzer H, et al. Suicide attempts, gender, and sexual abuse: data from the 2000 British Psychiatric Morbidity Survey. Am J Psychiatry. 2000;166:1135 40.