Subject: Review Article | Ebola; emergency; emergency management; public health legal preparedness | RA1-1270 | Public aspects of medicine | emergency management | public health legal preparedness | emergency | Ebola | Public Health; Global Health; Health law; Emergency health preparedness
Background: Public health legal preparedness (PHLP) for emergencies is a core component of the health system response. However, the implementation of health legal preparedness differs between low- and middle-income countries (LMIC) and developed countries.Objective: Thi... View more
1. Nelson C, Lurie N, Wasserman J, Zakowski S. Conceptualizing and defining public health emergency preparedness. Am J Public Health 2007; 97: S9 11.
2. Rutkow L, Vernick JS, Gakh M, Siegel J, Thompson CB, Barnett DJ. The public health workforce and willingness to respond to emergencies: a 50-State analysis of Potentially Influential Laws. J Law Med Ethics 2014; 42: 64 71.
3. Biddison LD, Berkowitz KA, Courtney B, De Jong, Devereaux AV, Kissoon N, et al. Ethical considerations: care of the critically ill and injured during pandemics and disasters: CHEST consensus statement. Chest 2014; 146: e145S 55S.
4. Wang J. Post-disaster cross-nation mutual aid in natural hazards: case analysis from sociology of disaster and disaster politics perspectives. Nat Hazards 2013; 66: 413 38.
5. Moulton AD, Gottfried RN, Goodman RA, Murphy AM, Rawson RD. What is public health legal preparedness? J Law Med Ethics 2003; 31: 672 83.
6. Benjamin GC, Moulton AD. Public health legal preparedness: a framework for action. J Law Med Ethics 2008; 36: 13.
7. Kaufman N, Allan S, Ibrahim J. Using public health legal counsel effectively: beliefs, barriers and opportunities for training. J Law Med Ethics 2013; 41: 61 4.
8. Mosher JE. Accessing justice amid threats of contagion. Osgoode Hall Law J 2013; 51: 919.
9. Ota C. Legal humanitarian assistance: instituting disaster response clinics and law firm engagement. Geo J Poverty Law Pol'y 2012; 19: 515.
10. Hodge JG, Lant T, Arias J, Jehn M. Building evidence for legal decision making in real time: legal triage in public health emergencies. Disaster Med Public Health Prep 2011; 5: S242 51.