Subject: Q | R | Research Article | Science | Medicine
mesheuropmc: human activities | health care economics and organizations
'Medical Tourism' - the phenomenon of people travelling abroad to access medical treatment - has received increasing attention in academic and popular media. This paper reports findings from a study examining effect of inbound and outbound medical tourism on the UK NHS,... View more
1. Lunt N, Carrera P (2010) Medical tourism: assessing the evidence on treatment abroad. Maturitas 66: 27-32.
2. Smith R, Lunt N, Hanefeld J (2012) The implications of PIP are more than just cosmetic. The Lancet 379: 1180-1181.
3. Vick L (2012) The perils of cosmetic surgery/medical tourism. Clinical Risk 18: 106-109.
4. Pollock AM, Price D, Roderick P, Treuherz T, McCoy D, et al. (2012) How the Health and Social Care Bill 2011 would end entitlement to comprehensive health care in England. Lancet 379: 387-389.
5. Legido-Quigley H, Passarani I, Knai C, Busse R, Palm W, et al. (2011) Crossborder healthcare in the European Union: clarifying patients' rights. BMJ 342.
6. Pollock AM (2013) Will expansion of the NHS abroad benefit UK patients? No. BMJ 346.
7. Smith R, Mart´ınez A´lvarez M, Chanda R (2011) Medical tourism: A review of the literature and analysis of a role for bi-lateral trade. Health Policy 103: 276- 282.
8. Hanefeld J, Smith DR, Lunt N, Horsfall D, King H (under submission (2012)) What do we know about medical tourism - a review of the literature. Health Policy.
9. Johnson TJ, Garman AN (2010) Impact of medical travel on imports and exports of medical services. Health Policy 98: 171-177.
10. Johnston R, Crooks VA, Snyder J, Kingsbury P (2010) What is known about the effects of medical tourism in destination and departure countries? A scoping review. International Journal for Equity in Health 9: (3 November 2010).