It is tempting to look at bacteria from our human egocentric point of view and label them as either ‘good’ or ‘bad’. However, a microbial society has its own system of government – ‘microcracy’ – and its own rules of play. Lactic acid bacteria are often referred to as r... View more
1. Servin AL. Antagonistic activities of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria against microbial pathogens. FEMS Microbiol Rev 2004; 28: 405 40.
2. Di Cerbo A, Palmieri B, Aponte M, Morales-Medina JC, Iannitti T. Mechanisms and therapeutic effectiveness of lactobacilli. J Clin Pathol 2016; 69: 187 203.
3. Berstad A, Hauso O, Valeur J. Intestinal staphylococcal small colony variants: a cause of medically unexplained physical symptoms? Microb Ecol Health Dis 2014; 25: 25817. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/mehd.v25.25817
4. Voltan S, Martines D, Elli M, Brun P, Longo S, Porzionato A, et al. Lactobacillus crispatus M247-derived H2O2 acts as a signal transducing molecule activating peroxisome proliferator activated receptor-gamma in the intestinal mucosa. Gastroenterology 2008; 135: 1216 27.
5. Tan J, McKenzie C, Potamitis M, Thorburn AN, Mackay CR, Macia L. The role of short-chain fatty acids in health and disease. Adv Immunol 2014; 121: 91 119.
6. Bennet SM, Ohman L, Simren M. Gut microbiota as potential orchestrators of irritable bowel syndrome. Gut Liver 2015; 9: 318 31.
7. Balsari A, Ceccarelli A, Dubini F, Fesce E, Poli G. The fecal microbial population in the irritable bowel syndrome. Microbiologica 1982; 5: 185 94.
8. Campbell AK, Matthews SB, Vassel N, Cox CD, Naseem R, Chiachi J, et al. Bacterial metabolic 'toxins': a new mechanism for lactose and food intolerance, and irritable bowel syndrome. Toxicology 2010; 278: 268 76.
9. Raa J, Berstad A, Valeur J. Forstyrrelser i tarmkanalens redoks-biologi en oversett sykdomsmekanisme? NGF-nytt 2015; 22: 32 6.
10. Saez-Lara MJ, Gomez-Llorente C, Plaza-Diaz J, Gil A. The role of probiotic lactic acid bacteria and bifidobacteria in the prevention and treatment of inflammatory bowel disease and other related diseases: a systematic review of randomized human clinical trials. Biomed Res Int 2015; 2015: 505878.