Subject: Diagnostic medicine | Research Article | Skin infections | Infectious Diseases | Health Care Policy | [SDV.MHEP.MI]Life Sciences [q-bio]/Human health and pathology/Infectious diseases | Epidemiology | Serology | [ SDV.MHEP.MI ] Life Sciences [q-bio]/Human health and pathology/Infectious diseases | Vectors and Hosts | Polymerase chain reaction | Non-Clinical Medicine | Rickettsia | Biology | Clinical Research Design | Microbiology | Medicine | Specimen preparation and treatment | Bacterial Diseases | RC955-962 | Dermatology | RA1-1270 | Drugs and Devices | Public aspects of medicine | Biopsy | Arctic medicine. Tropical medicine | Antibiotics
mesheuropmc: bacterial infections and mycoses
BACKGROUND: Isolation of Rickettsia species from skin biopsies may be replaced by PCR. We evaluated culture sensitivity compared to PCR based on sampling delay and previous antibiotic treatment. METHODOLOGY/PRINCIPAL FINDINGS: Skin biopsies and ticks from patients with ... View more
1. Parola P, Paddock CD, Raoult D (2005) Tick-Borne Rickettsioses around the World: Emerging Diseases Challenging Old Concepts. Clin Microbiol Rev 18: 719-756.
2. La Scola B, Raoult D (1997) Laboratory diagnosis of rickettsioses: current approaches to the diagnosis of old and new rickettsial diseases. J Clin Microbiol 35: 2715-2727.
3. Houpikian P, Raoult D (2002) Traditional and molecular techniques for the study of emerging bacterial diseases: one laboratory's perspective. Emerg Infect Dis 8: 122-131.
4. Gouriet F, Fenollar F, Patrice JY, Drancourt M, Raoult D (2005) Use of shellvial cell culture assay for isolation of bacteria from clinical specimens: 13 years of experience. J Clin Microbiol 43: 4993-5002.
5. La Scola B, Raoult D (1996) Diagnosis of Mediterranean spotted fever by cultivation of Rickettsia conorii from blood and skin samples using the centrifugation-shell vial technique and by detection of R. conorii in circulating endothelial cells: a 6 year follow-up. J Clin Microbiol 34: 2722-2727.
6. Fenollar F, Raoult D (2004) Molecular genetic methods for the diagnosis of fastidious microorganisms. APMIS 112: 785-807.
7. Bechah Y, Socolovschi C, Raoult D (2011) Identification of rickettsial infections by using cutaneous swab specimens and PCR. Emerg Infect Dis 17: 83-86.
8. Sarih M, Socolovschi C, Boudebouch N, Hassar M, Raoult D, et al. (2008) Spotted fever group rickettsiae in ticks, Morocco. Emerg Infect Dis 14: 1067-1073.
9. Socolovschi C, Matsumoto K, Brouqui P, Raoult D, Parola P (2009) Experimental infection of Rhipicephalus sanguineus with Rickettsia conorii conorii. Clin Microbiol Infect.
10. Mediannikov O, Fenollar F, Socolovschi C, Diatta G, Bassene H, et al. (2010) Coxiella burnetii in humans and ticks in rural Senegal. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4: e654. 10.1371/journal.pntd.0000654 [doi].