Subject: GATA3 gene | DNA methylation | genetic variants | oral contraceptives | single nucleotide polymorphism | adolescence | asthma | puberty | CpG | age at menarche | Research | epigenetics
Background: The prevalence of asthma in girls increases after puberty. Previous studies have detected associations between sex hormones and asthma, as well as between sex hormones and T helper 2 (Th2) asthma-typical immune responses. Therefore, we hypothesized that exog... View more
1. Tollefsen E, Langhammer A, Romundstad P, Bjermer L, Johnsen R, Holmen TL: Female gender is associated with higher incidence and more stable respiratory symptoms during adolescence. Respir Med 2007, 101:896-902.
2. Wada K, Okuyama K, Ohkawara Y, Takayanagi M, Ohno I: Gender differences in transcriptional regulation of IL-5 expression by bronchial lymph node cells in a mouse model of asthma. Respirology 2010, 15:629-635.
3. Soto-Ramirez N, Ziyab AH, Karmaus W, Zhang H, Kurukulaaratchy RJ, Ewart S, Arshad SH: Epidemiologic methods of assessing asthma and wheezing episodes in longitudinal studies: measures of change and stability. J Epidemiol 2013, 23:399-410.
4. Postma DS: Gender differences in asthma development and progression. Gender Medicine 2007, 4:S133-S146.
5. Tam A, Morrish D, Wadsworth S, Dorscheid D, Man SF, Sin DD: The role of female hormones on lung function in chronic lung diseases. BMC Womens Health 2011, 11:24.
6. Siroux V, Curt F, Oryszczyn MP, Maccario J, Kauffmann F: Role of gender and hormone-related events on IgE, atopy, and eosinophils in the Epidemiological Study on the Genetics and Environment of Asthma, bronchial hyperresponsiveness and atopy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004, 114:491-498.
7. Balzano G, Fuschillo S, Melillo G, Bonini S: Asthma and sex hormones. Allergy 2001, 56:13-20.
8. Salam MT, Wenten M, Gilliland FD: Endogenous and exogenous sex steroid hormones and asthma and wheeze in young women. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006, 117:1001-1007.
9. Haggerty CL, Ness RB, Kelsey S, Waterer GW: The impact of estrogen and progesterone on asthma. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2003, 90:284-291. quiz 291-283, 347.
10. Piccinni MP, Giudizi MG, Biagiotti R, Beloni L, Giannarini L, Sampognaro S, Parronchi P, Manetti R, Annunziato F, Livi C: Progesterone favors the development of human T helper cells producing Th2-type cytokines and promotes both IL-4 production and membrane CD30 expression in established Th1 cell clones. J Immunol 1995, 155:128-133.