Subject: Original Research-Regeneration Science | RL | RM
mesheuropmc: integumentary system
There is a spectrum/continuum of adult human wound healing outcomes ranging from the enhanced (nearly scarless) healing observed in oral mucosa to scarring within skin and the nonhealing of chronic skin wounds. Central to these outcomes is the role of the fibroblast. Gl... View more
1. Stephens P, Davies KJ, Occleston N, Pleass RD, Kon C, Daniels J, et al. Skin and oral fibroblasts exhibit phenotypic differences in extracellular matrix reorganization and matrix metalloproteinase activity. Br J Dermatol 2001; 144: 229-37.
2. Enoch S, Wall I, Peake M, Davies L, Farrier J, Giles P, et al. Increased oral fibroblast lifespan is telomerase-independent. J Dent Res 2009; 88: 916-21.
3. Swift ME, Kleinman HK, DiPietro LA. Impaired wound repair and delayed angiogenesis in aged mice. Lab Invest 1999; 79: 1479-87.
4. Wall IB, Moseley R, Baird DM, Kipling D, Giles P, Laffafian I, et al. Fibroblast dysfunction is a key factor in the non-healing of chronic venous leg ulcers. J Invest Dermatol 2008; 128: 2526-40.
5. Wollina U, Gruner M, Koch A, Köstler E, Hubl W, Hanson NB, et al. Topical PDGF-BB results in limited healing in a patient with Werner's syndrome and chronic leg ulcers. J Wound Care 2004; 13: 415-16.
6. Hardman MJ, Ashcroft GS. Estrogen, not intrinsic aging, is the major regulator of delayed human wound healing in the elderly. Genome Biol 2008; 9: R80.
7. Curto EV, Lambert GW, Davis RL, Wilborn TW, Dooley TP. Biomarkers of human skin cells identified using DermArray DNA arrays and new bioinformatics methods. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2002; 291: 1052-64.
8. Chang HY, Chi JT, Dudoit S, Bondre C, van de Rijn M, Botstein D, et al. Diversity, topographic differentiation, and positional memory in human fibroblasts. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2002; 99: 12877-82.
9. Deonarine K, Panelli MC, Stashower ME, Jin P, Smith K, Slade HB, et al. Gene expression profiling of cutaneous wound healing. J Transl Med 2007; 5: 11.
10. Brem H, Stojadinovic O, Diegelmann RF, Entero H, Lee B, Pastar I, et al. Molecular markers in patients with chronic wounds to guide surgical debridement. Mol Med 2007; 13: 30-9.