Subject: nutritional screening and intervention | R | Review | older adults | under nutrition | Medicine | obesity
The older population is increasing worldwide and in many countries older people will outnumber younger people in the near future. This projected growth in the older population has the potential to place significant burdens on healthcare and support services. Meeting the... View more
1. United Nations 2013 World Population Aging Report. Available online: http://www.un.org/en/ development/desa/population/publications/pdf/ageing/WorldPopulationAgeing2013.pdf (accessed on 27 July 2015).
2. Prince, M.J.; Wu, F.; Guo, Y.; Gutierrez Robledo, L.M.; O'Donnell, M.; Sullivan, R.; Yusuf, S. The burden of disease in older people and implications for health policy and practice. Lancet 2015, 385, 549-562.
3. Jones, J.; Duffy, M.; Coull, Y.; Wilkinson, H. Older people living in the community-Nutritional needs, barriers and interventions: A literature review. Available online: http://www.scie-socialcareonline.org.uk/ older-people-living-in-the-community-nutritional-needs-barriers-and-interventions-a-literature-review/ r/a11G00000017xKZIAY (accessed on 23 March 2015).
4. Ahmed, T.; Haboubi, N. Assessment and management of nutrition in older people and its importance to health. Clin. Interv. Aging 2010, 5, 207-216.
5. Watson, L.; Leslie, W.; Hankey, C. Under-nutrition in old age: Diagnosis and management. Rev. Clin. Gerontol. 2006, 15, 1-12.
6. Heuberger, R.A.; Caudell, K. Polypharmacy and nutritional status in older adults: A cross-sectional study. Drugs Aging 2011, 28, 315-323.
7. Ortolani, E.; Landi, F.; Martone, A.M.; Onder, G.; Bernabei, R. Nutritional status and drug therapy in older adults. J. Gerontol. Geriatr. Res. 2013, doi:10.4172/2167-7182.1000123.
8. Kyle, U.G.; Genton, L.; Hans, D.; Karsegard, L.; Slosman, D.O.; Pichard, C. Age-related differences in fat-free mass, skeletal muscle, body cell mass and fat mass between 18 and 94 years. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 2001, 55, 663-672.
9. Department of Health. Dietary Reference Values for Food, Energy and Nutrients for the United Kingdom; HMSO: London, UK, 1991.
10. Power, S.E.; Jeffery, I.B.; Ross, R.P.; Stanton, C.; O'Toole, P.W.; O'Connor, E.M.; Fitzgerald, G.F. Food and Nutrient intake of Irish community-dwelling elderly subjects: Who is at nutritional risk? J. Nutr. Health Aging 2014, 18, 561-572.