Subject: healthcare team | Review | diabetes self-management education | Targets and Therapy [Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity] | RC581-951 | diabetes educator | behavior change | Specialties of internal medicine
Sandra D Burke,1,2 Dawn Sherr,3 Ruth D Lipman3 1American Association of Diabetes Educators, Chicago, IL, USA; 2University of Illinois at Chicago College of Nursing, Urbana, IL, USA; 3Science and Practice, American Association of Diabetes Educators, Chicago, IL, USA Abs... View more
1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National diabetes fact sheet: National estimates and general information on diabetes and pre-diabetes in the United States, 2011. In: Services UDoHaH, ed. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2011.
2. Diabetes Atlas [webpage on the Internet]. Brussels: International Diabetes Federation; 2013. Available from: http://www.idf.org/diabetesatlas. Accessed December 19, 2013.
3. American Diabetes Association. Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes - 2013. Diabetes Care. 2013;36(Suppl 1):S11-S66.
4. UK Progressive Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group. Intensive blood glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33). Lancet. 1998;352(9131):837-853.
5. Pop-Busui R, Herman WH, Feldman EL, et al; DCCT/EDIC Research Group. DCCT and EDIC studies in type 1 diabetes: lessons for diabetic neuropathy regarding metabolic memory and natural history. Curr Diab Rep. 2010;10(4):276-282.
6. The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group. The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of long-term complications in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med. 1993;329(14):977-986.
7. Holman RR, Paul SK, Bethel MA, Matthews DR, Neil HA. 10-year follow-up of intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2008;359(15):1577-1589.
8. DCCT/EDIC Research Group, de Boer IH, Sun W, Cleary PA, et al. Intensive diabetes therapy and glomerular filtration rate in type 1 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2011;365(25):2366-2376.
9. Polak JF, Backlund JY, Cleary PA, et al; DCCT/EDIC Research Group. Progression of carotid artery intima-media thickness during 12 years in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (DCCT/EDIC) study. Diabetes. 2011;60(2):607-613.
10. Pop-Busui R, Low PA, Waberski BH, et al; DCCT/EDIC Research Group. Effects of prior intensive insulin therapy on cardiac autonomic nervous system function in type 1 diabetes mellitus: the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications study (DCCT/EDIC). Circulation. 2009;119(22):2886-2893.