A genome-wide SNP-association study confirms a sequence variant (g.66493737C>T) in the equine myostatin (MSTN) gene as the most powerful predictor of optimum racing distance for Thoroughbred racehorses
Hill, Emmeline W; McGivney, Beatrice A; Gu, Jingjing; Whiston, Ronan; MacHugh, David E;
<p>Abstract</p> <p>Background</p> <p>Thoroughbred horses have been selected for traits contributing to speed and stamina for centuries. It is widely recognized that inherited variation in physical and physiological characteristics is responsible for variation in individ... View more
1. Willett P: The classic racehorse. London: Stanley Paul 1981.
2. Williamson SA, Beilharz RG: The inheritance of speed, stamina and other racing performance characters in the Australian Thoroughbred. J Anim Breed Genet 1998, 115(1):1-16.
3. Barrey E, Valette JP, Jouglin M, Blouin C, Langlois B: Heritability of percentage of fast myosin heavy chains in skeletal muscles and relationship with performance. Equine Vet J Suppl 1999, 30:289-292.
4. Rivero JL, Serrano AL, Henckel P, Aguera E: Muscle fiber type composition and fiber size in successfully and unsuccessfully endurance-raced horses. J Appl Physiol 1993, 75(4):1758-1766.
5. Rivero J-L, Piercy RJ: Muscle physiology: responses to exercise and training. In Equine exercise physiology: the science of exercise in the athletic horse. Edited by: Hinchcliff KW, Kaneps AJ, Geor RJ. Edinburgh: Elsevier Saunders; 2008:ix:463.
6. Hill EW, Gu J, Eivers SS, Fonseca RG, McGivney BA, Govindarajan P, Orr N, Katz LM, MacHugh DE: A sequence polymorphism in MSTN predicts sprinting ability and racing stamina in thoroughbred horses. PLoS ONE 2010, 5(1):e8645.
7. Grobet L, Martin LJ, Poncelet D, Pirottin D, Brouwers B, Riquet J, Schoeberlein A, Dunner S, Menissier F, Massabanda J, et al: A deletion in the bovine myostatin gene causes the double-muscled phenotype in cattle. Nat Genet 1997, 17(1):71-74.
8. McPherron AC, Lawler AM, Lee SJ: Regulation of skeletal muscle mass in mice by a new TGF-beta superfamily member. Nature 1997, 387(6628):83-90.
9. McPherron AC, Lee SJ: Double muscling in cattle due to mutations in the myostatin gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1997, 94(23):12457-12461.
10. Mosher DS, Quignon P, Bustamante CD, Sutter NB, Mellersh CS, Parker HG, Ostrander EA: A mutation in the myostatin gene increases muscle mass and enhances racing performance in heterozygote dogs. PLoS Genet 2007, 3(5):e79.