Subject: Chemistry | D63 | Biology | I00 | Article | Economics | inequality measurement | Inequality measurement, Socioeconomic inequality of health, Bivariate inequality | socioeconomic inequality of health | Health, Toxicology and Mutagenesis | bivariate inequality | Human medicine | Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health
jel: jel:D63 | jel:I00
Abstract: We suggest an alternative way to construct a family of indices of socioeconomic inequality of health. Our indices belong to the broad category of linear indices. In contrast to rank-dependent indices, which are defined in terms of the ranks of the socioeconomi... View more
1. Chetty, R.; Stepner, M.; Abraham, S.; Lin, S.; Scuderi, B.; Turner, N.; Bergeron, A.; Cutler, D. The association between income and life expectancy in the United States, 2001-2014. JAMA 2016, 315, 1750-1766. [CrossRef]
2. Adler, N.E.; Boyce, T.; Chesney, M.A.; Cohen, S.; Folkman, S.; Kahn, R.L.; Syme, S.L. Socioeconomic status and health. The challenge of the gradient. Am. Psychol. 1994, 49, 15-24. [CrossRef]
3. Marmot, M.; Allen, J.; Goldblatt, P.; Boyce, T.; McNeish, D.; Grady, M.; Geddes, I. Fair Society, Healthy Lives: The Marmot Review. Strategic Review of Health Inequalities in England Post-2010; University College London: London, UK, 2010.
4. Wagstaff, A.; Paci, P.; Van Doorslaer, E. On the measurement of inequalities in health. Soc. Sci. Med. 1991, 33, 545-557. [CrossRef]
5. Pereira, J.A. Inequality in infant mortality in Portugal, 1971-1991. In Health, the Medical Profession, and Regulation; (Volume 6 of Developments in Health Economics and Public Policy); Zweifel, P., Ed.; Kluwer: Boston, MA, USA/Dordrecht, The Netherlands/London, UK, 1998; pp. 75-93.
6. Wagstaff, A. Inequality aversion, health inequalities, and health achievement. J. Health Econ. 2002, 21, 627-641. [CrossRef]
7. Wagstaff, A. The bounds of the concentration index when the variable of interest is binary, with an application to immunization inequality. Health Econ. 2005, 14, 429-432. [CrossRef]
8. Erreygers, G. Correcting the concentration index. J. Health Econ. 2009, 28, 504-515. [CrossRef]
9. Erreygers, G.; Clarke, P.; Van Ourti, T. 'Mirror, mirror, on the wall, Who in this land is fairest of all?'-Distributional sensitivity in the measurement of socioeconomic inequality of health. J. Health Econ. 2012, 31, 257-270. [CrossRef]
10. Kjellsson, G.; Gerdtham, U.-G. On correcting the concentration index for binary variables. J. Health Econ. 2013, 32, 659-670. [CrossRef]