Subject: Health Policy | RA1-1270 | Public aspects of medicine | Review | Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health
mesheuropmc: human activities
<p>Abstract</p> <p>Medical tourism is a growing phenomenon with policy implications for health systems, particularly of destination countries. Private actors and governments in Southeast Asia are promoting the medical tourist industry, but the potential impact on health... View more
1. Hazarika I: Medical tourism: its potential impact on the health workforce and health systems in India. Health Policy and Planning 2010, 25:248-251.
2. UNESCAP: Medical travel in Asia and the Pacific: challenges and opportunities. Thailand, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific; 2007 [http://www.unescap.org/ESID/hds/lastestadd/ MedicalTourismReport09.pdf], Accessed 29-09-2010.
3. Chongsuvivatwong V, Phua KH, Yap MT, Pocock NS, Hashim JH, Chhem R, Wilopo SA, Lopez AD: Health and health-care systems in southeast Asia: diversity and transitions. Lancet 2011, 377(9763):429-37.
4. Tourism Malaysia: Media info: Health tourism in Malaysia. Communications and Publicity Division, Tourism Malaysia; 2008 [http:// www.tourism.gov.my/corporate/images/media/features/Health%20Tourism% 20Oct%202008.pdf], Accessed 29-9-2010.
5. Singapore Medicine: Media Factsheet: Singapore, more than just a world class healthcare destination. Singapore Medicine; 2010.
6. Carrera P, Bridges J: Health and medical tourism: what they mean and imply for health care systems. In Health and Ageing. Volume 15. The Geneva Association; 2006.
7. Carrera P, Bridges J: Globalization and healthcare: understanding health and medical tourism. Expert Review of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research 2006, 6(Suppl 4):447-454.
8. Chee HL: Medical tourism in Malaysia: international movement of healthcare consumers and the commodification of healthcare. Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, submitted 2007, Accessed 04-03-2011.
9. Whittaker A, Manderson L, Cartwright E: Patients without borders: understanding medical travel. Medical Anthropology 2010, 29(4):336-343.
10. Smith R, Chanda R, Tangcharoensathien V: Trade in health related services. Lancet 2009, 373:593-601.