Subject: Cardiovascular disease | South Asian | Research Article | Ethnicity | Adherence | Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism | Meta-synthesis | Diabetes | /dk/atira/pure/subjectarea/asjc/2700/2712
Background: Prevalence of diabetes and cardiovascular (CVD) disease amongst UK South Asians is higher than in\ud the general population. Non-adherence to medicines may lead to poor clinical outcomes for South Asian patients\ud with diabetes and CVD. To understand the de... View more
1. Diabetes UK. key statistics on diabetes. key statistics on diabetes. Available from: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-in-the-uk-2012 [Accessed 01 May 2015].
2. Matthews DR, Pramming S. Diabetes and the global burden of noncommunicable disease. Lancet. 2003;362:1763-4.
3. Beaglehole R, Yach D. Globalisation and the prevention and control of noncommunicable disease: the neglected chronic diseases of adults. Lancet. 2003;362:903-8.
4. International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas 6th edition. https:// www.idf.org/sites/default/files/atlas-poster-2014-EN.pdf [Accessed 07 Jan 2016].
5. Bhopal RS. The public health agenda and minority ethnic health: a reflection on priorities. J R Soc Med. 2006;99:58-61.
6. Gill PS, Kai J, Bhopal RS, Wild S. Health care needs assessment: black and minority ethnic groups. In: Raftery J, Stevens A, Mant J, editors. Health care needs assessment, The epidemiologigically based needs assessment reviews, vol. 3rd. Abindon: Radcliffe; 2007. p. 227-399.
7. World Health Organization. Adherence to long-term therapies-Evidence for action. Geneva: World Health Organisation; 2003. ISBN:924154992
8. Dimatteo MR. Variations in patients' adherence to medical recommendations: a quantitative review of 50 years of research. Med Care. 2004;42:200-9.
9. Ho PM, Rumsfeld JS, Masoudi FA, McClure DL, Plomondon ME, Steiner JF, et al. Effect of medication nonadherence on hospitalization and mortality among patients with diabetes mellitus. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166:1836-41.
10. Muszbek N, Brixner D, Benedict A, Keskinaslan A, Khan ZM. The economic consequences of noncompliance in cardiovascular disease and related conditions: a literature review. Int J Clin Pract. 2008;62:338-51.