Simple Summary While millions of cats enter animal shelters every year, only 11.5% of pet cats are obtained from a shelter in the United States. Previous research has indicated that unrealistic expectations set by adopters can increase the chances of an adopted cat retu... View more
1. ASPCAr Pet Statistics. Available online: http://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/pet-statistics (accessed on 13 October 2014).
2. Weiss, E.; Patronek, G.; Slater, M.; Garrison, L.; Medicus, K. Community partnering as a tool for improving live release rate in animal shelters in the United States. J. Appl. Anim. Welf. Sci. 2013, 16, 221-238. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
3. American Pet Products Manufacturers Association. National Pet Owners Survey. Available online: http://www.americanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.asp (accessed on 13 October 2014).
4. New, J.C.; Salman, M.D.; King, M.; Scarlett, J.M.; Kass, P.H.; Hutchinson, J. Characteristics of shelter-relinquished animals and their owners compared with animals and their owners in U.S. pet-owning households. J. Appl. Anim. Welf. Sci. 2000, 3, 179-201. [CrossRef]
5. Weiss, E.; Miller, K.; Mohan-Gibbons, H.; Vela, C. Why did you choose this pet? Adopters and pet selection in five animal shelters in the United States. Animals 2012, 2, 144-159. [CrossRef]
6. Houpt, K.; Honig, S.; Reisner, I. Breaking the human-companion animal bond. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 1996, 208, 1652-1659.
7. Patronek, G.J.; Glickman, L.T.; Beck, A.M.; McCabe, G.P.; Ecker, C. Risk factors for relinquishment of dogs to an animal shelter. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 1996, 209, 572-581. [PubMed]
8. Shore, E.R. Returning a recently adopted companion animal: Adopters' reasons for and reactions to the failed adoption experience. J. Appl. Anim. Welf. Sci. 2005, 8, 187-198. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
9. Casey, R.A.; Vandenbussche, S.; Bradshaw, J.W.S.; Roberts, M.A. Reasons for relinquishment and return of domestic cats (Felis Silvestrus Catus) to rescue shelters in the UK. Anthrozoos 2009, 22, 347-358. [CrossRef]
10. Weiss, E.; Slater, M.; Garrison, L.; Drain, N.; Dolan, E.; Scarlet, J.; Zawistowski, S. Large dog relinquishment to two municipal facilities in NY and DC: Identifying targets for Intervention. Animals 2014, 4, 409-433. [CrossRef]