Subject: Research Article | RA1-1270 | Public aspects of medicine | Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health
<p>Abstract</p> <p>Background</p> <p>Guidelines recommend multifactorial intervention programmes to prevent falls in older adults but there are few randomised controlled trials in a real life health care setting. We describe the rationale, intervention, study design, re... View more
1. Campbell AJ, Borrie MJ, Spears GF, Jackson SL, Brown JS, Fitzgerald JL: Circumstances and consequences of falls experienced by a community population 70 years and over during a prospective study. Age Ageing 1990, 19(2):136-141.
2. Rubenstein LZ, Josephson KR: The epidemiology of falls and syncope. Clin Geriatr Med 2002, 18(2):141-158.
3. Fielden J, Purdie G, Horne G, Devane P: Hip fracture incidence in New Zealand, revisited. N Z Med J 2001, 114(1129):154-156.
4. Rizzo JA, Friedkin R, Williams CS, Nabors J, Acampora D, Tinetti ME: Health care utilization and costs in a Medicare population by fall status. Med Care 1998, 36(8):1174-1188.
5. Tinetti ME: Clinical practice. Preventing falls in elderly persons. N Engl J Med 2003, 348(1):42-49.
6. Gillespie LD, Gillespie WJ, Robertson MC, Lamb SE, Cumming RG, Rowe BH, McClure R, Turner C, Peel N, Spinks A: Interventions for preventing falls in elderly people. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003:CD000340.
7. Robertson MC, Campbell AJ, Gardner MM, Devlin N: Preventing injuries in older people by preventing falls: a meta-analysis of individual-level data. J Am Geriatr Soc 2002, 50(5):905-911.
8. Campbell AJ, Robertson MC, Gardner MM, Norton RN, Tilyard MW, Buchner DM: Randomised controlled trial of a general practice programme of home based exercise to prevent falls in elderly women. BMJ 1997, 315(7115):1065-1069.
9. Campbell AJ, Robertson MC, Gardner MM, Norton RN, Buchner DM: Falls prevention over 2 years: a randomized controlled trial in women 80 years and older. Age Ageing 1999, 28(6):513-518.
10. Robertson MC, Devlin N, Gardner MM, Campbell AJ: Effectiveness and economic evaluation of a nurse delivered home exercise programme to prevent falls. 1: Randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2001, 322(7288):697-701.